Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing 2 texts on different sides

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to place 2 texts in a document. Also, I want to place one text only on the right side and another on the left side. Is it possible to do this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Hi Dir34,

best start your document with a spread of two facing pages.

Load your text cursor with the text of the first story.

Hold the shift key and move your cursor over the text frame that is visible from the even parent page on your document page. Just click while you still hold the shift key and InDesign will add spreads as necessary. The text flow will be on even pages only.

Do the same on the first spread with the odd page.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you want to place one text on the even pages and other text on the odd pages?

or in the left and right column of each page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to place one text only in left columns and other in the right columns you could create text frames in the parent pages and thread the text frames as in my screenshot.

Schermata 2021-11-25 alle 16.56.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dir34,

do you mean that you want to run one story of threaded text frames on odd pages only and the other one on even pages only?

Can be done. What did you try so far? Hint: You need no Primary Text Frame. To start with you need just two text frames that are not threaded on your parent page(s) [ formerly known as master page(s) ]. And auto-flow of pages turned off in the preferences.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. 

I also thought I only needed two text frames that are not threaded on my master pages and started researching how I could do this. 

Thanks for the guidance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to place text only on the even pages and other text only on the odd pages create text frames non threaded on master pages

Schermata 2021-11-25 alle 16.57.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever try to learn something before ask? Linkedin Learning have a trial days, with that days you can learn watch some of InDesign for beginners courses. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know that I wrote without research? Thanks for the suggestion, but I already knew. Also, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for help where you can't find a solution. That's why this platform exists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dir34,

best start your document with a spread of two facing pages.

Load your text cursor with the text of the first story.

Hold the shift key and move your cursor over the text frame that is visible from the even parent page on your document page. Just click while you still hold the shift key and InDesign will add spreads as necessary. The text flow will be on even pages only.

Do the same on the first spread with the odd page.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines