• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing Excel graphs into InDesign

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please help me place an Excel graph into an InDesign document? I have tried dragging and dropping, copy paste, putting the graph into AI and making an AI file and doing the "Place" function of InDesign, making an EPS file in AI and doing the same, copy pasting from powerpoint, and no matter what i do, the text on my graph looks terrible. I have tried several different fonts, and have increased the dpi to the max quality. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

In Excel, move the chart to its own worksheet.

PDF the chart (Windows: use the Save As PDF function)

Place in ID.

If data updates, re-PDF the chart and replace of one with same name.

ID will update chart when open. (Watch out if the chart changes proportion.)

For output, rather than moving chart to AI for color conversion, do the following.

Laser: Just make a PDF; don't worry about the Excel colors--the laser printer will do fine with charts.

Offset Printing: Open PDF in Acrobat Pro and Convert Colors

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Excel, move the chart to its own worksheet.

PDF the chart (Windows: use the Save As PDF function)

Place in ID.

If data updates, re-PDF the chart and replace of one with same name.

ID will update chart when open. (Watch out if the chart changes proportion.)

For output, rather than moving chart to AI for color conversion, do the following.

Laser: Just make a PDF; don't worry about the Excel colors--the laser printer will do fine with charts.

Offset Printing: Open PDF in Acrobat Pro and Convert Colors (under Print Production).

Set appropriate color conversion profile and check the Preserve Black and the Promote Gray to CMYK Black settings.

By the way, I believe the fancy 3D charts end up as bitmaps; use the standard chart layouts.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also choose File > Place and place an Excel worksheet.

If you want it to be linked so the updates can be made in Excel, there are a few more steps. Otherwise it comes in as a table.

You might want to do it this way:

• File > Place
  • Select the Excel file
  • Shift + Click Open to bring up Options so you can choose formatted table, unformatted table, text with tabs, etc.

If you have an insertion point, it goes into the existing text. If not, it creates its own frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the OP wanted the graph from Excel, not the Excel file as a table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right…and FWIW, I’ve found that as long as you keep the charts simple, copy/paste works well…at least on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to bring in a pie chart/graph created in excel into Indesign but keeping the text boxes live so you can edit in Indesign? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try pasting the Excel chart into Illustrator, then into InDesign. If the AI file isn't too complex, it will come in as editable objects. Otherwise, using the PDF method is more efficient. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you David. It's the first time I've used these community forums for queries and I have to say it's - you- are very quick and helpful. 

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you decide that your graph looks terrible on the basis of what you see in InDesign? It often doesn't display these at full resolution. Before you decide that it really looks terrible, try exporting your document to a PDF and examine that. There's a good chance that it will look fine. In that case, treat the low-resolution ID display as "FPO" (For Positioning Only).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rebecca,

I would like to know if the above mentioned suggestions helped you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

I found that the easiest was copying the chart to illustrator - which converts it to vector (but with a ton of clipping masks). From there, i copied only the shapes I wanted to a new layer, changed the formatting etc, and pasted it onto indesign.

ps. The export to pdf and placing it option didn't work out for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used an excel file with "input data" sheets and macros to generate tons of pie charts and bar charts on separate tabs. Then done we had a button with a macro to generate a multi-page pdf. That pdf was placed in Indesign. Every time we had to update the data we just generated a new pdf in Excel and updated the link in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to select the graph in Excel and Copy as Picture. Then it can be pasted in InDesign and it looks great. Only issue is that it isn't linked, so if you have changes, you have to paste it in again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The copy and paste method work ok, but I get "glitches" with text – kerning problems etc. I only use this method for quick and dirty pie charts that most likely won't be updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines