Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG image displaying as white box

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Can you please help regarding the below? When I place a PNG image into my document (with and without a frame) it just a white box that appears?

white box example.PNG

Thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Where'd you get the PNG from? Did you create it?

I can see a ghosting of a white/reversed logo in the screen capture you provided. So I believe what you want is there, it's just obscured by a background.

1) Click on the frame with your Arrow/Selection tool.

2) Check to ensure that the background color for your graphic frame is set to [None] in the Swatches panel. If it's set for [Paper], change it to [None] and let us know if the white background disappears.

3) If that fixes the problem, you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

If the fill is still white after trying the first response, I'd suggest checking on the graphic in Adobe Photoshop. You have much better controls to affect your PNG's properties there, as well as the option to save the file in other formats and determine if there's an issue with importing PNG files into InDesign or just a problem importing this PNG file into InDesign.

We can sleuth this problem with more information if you're having problems with various PNG files rather than just one, or if t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where'd you get the PNG from? Did you create it?

I can see a ghosting of a white/reversed logo in the screen capture you provided. So I believe what you want is there, it's just obscured by a background.

1) Click on the frame with your Arrow/Selection tool.

2) Check to ensure that the background color for your graphic frame is set to [None] in the Swatches panel. If it's set for [Paper], change it to [None] and let us know if the white background disappears.

3) If that fixes the problem, you need to do one more thing. Get your Arrow/Selection tool, and click your cursor somewhere there's absolutely nothing in your document. You want to have nothing selected; this lets you change the default tool setting. Click on the Fill proxy in the Control Panel, to make sure your fill setting is selected. Check the Swatches panel and make sure that the default fill is not [Paper] and is set to its default of [None].

This happens a lot more than you think. Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the fill is still white after trying the first response, I'd suggest checking on the graphic in Adobe Photoshop. You have much better controls to affect your PNG's properties there, as well as the option to save the file in other formats and determine if there's an issue with importing PNG files into InDesign or just a problem importing this PNG file into InDesign.

We can sleuth this problem with more information if you're having problems with various PNG files rather than just one, or if this is a singular exception, hopefully help you with a work-around that'll get you past this troubling exception.

Please let us know what you find. We're happy to help.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines