• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG Image Shows Background When Printed: How to Fix Transparency Issues in InDesign

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I put a PNG into my InDesign file, it looks like it has a clear background, but when it is printed it does not have a clear background. Instead it has a square shaded outline around the shape, with like a shade over it, on top of whatever is underneath. e.g. My PNG is sitting in a landscape position half over a red background and half of it over an image. The image itself within the PNG is fine, but out toward the edge of the rectangle shape it is not. When printed, over the red background, the background of the PNG is a lighter shade of red. Where it sits over an image, the background is like a deeper colour saturation. How do I fix this so the background of the PNG is transparent, as it should be? Any help is appreciated very much. It's been driving me crazy

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a transparency issue, but there are several causes. If you can post a screen snip showing the progression across the image and background, it would probably help guide things to the right answer.

PNG transparency can be faulty, as one starting point.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't do a screen grab as it only does it when it prints. The image has been exported from Photoshop (with a transparent background) as a PNG if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you export it to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks perfectly fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF is almost always exactly equivalent to printing, which is why it's so useful for diagnosing things. But if this is happening only when you print from ID to your printer, it's likely to be your printer driver.

What model printer are you using, and have you updated to a latest driver for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Where does the original file come from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines