• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print and read-out-loud with InDesign Publish Online?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Is it possible to print a document from InDesign Publish Online?
Like you print e.g. a PDF, spread or single page?
Adobe has an example that I can't print: https://indd.adobe.com/embed/11958f5e-0b44-4073-a089-7d28d6ae49e6?startpage=1
Not that I should, but to see if it was possible at all to print a document 😉

2) Is it possible to have "read-out-loud" function from InDesign Publish Online document?
Maybe it's called OCR - Optical Character Recognition?

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. You can download the published document as PDF if it is allowed by the publisher and go for a print. Once you go into full screen view of this sample document shared by you, you can see the option to download the PDF. I am sharing a screenshot for your reference:

Ashutosh_Mishra_0-1629929972529.png

Hope it helps.

I am afraid I have not heard of any read-out-loud functionality personally with which you can hear the text on the published document on the browser. I am sure other community experts

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Hi ASteinmeier,

yes, you could print individual pages from a Publish Online document. It's a function of the browser.

From my German Firefox on Windows 10:

PrintPublishOnlineDocument-Firefox-Windows-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Concerning the "read-out-loud" functionality:

Currently I see no chance to do this, because all the text of a Publish Online document is either text converted to SVG shapes or is rendered as image pixels. You'd need an app that could make a screen rendition in pixels and do OCR on it. Together with a bit of artificial intelligence that could decide in what order the reading has to be done and that makes decisions what actually a text paragraph is and what language the text is in.

Regards,
Uwe L

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. You can download the published document as PDF if it is allowed by the publisher and go for a print. Once you go into full screen view of this sample document shared by you, you can see the option to download the PDF. I am sharing a screenshot for your reference:

Ashutosh_Mishra_0-1629929972529.png

Hope it helps.

I am afraid I have not heard of any read-out-loud functionality personally with which you can hear the text on the published document on the browser. I am sure other community experts here might be able to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ASteinmeier,

yes, you could print individual pages from a Publish Online document. It's a function of the browser.

From my German Firefox on Windows 10:

PrintPublishOnlineDocument-Firefox-Windows-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Concerning the "read-out-loud" functionality:

Currently I see no chance to do this, because all the text of a Publish Online document is either text converted to SVG shapes or is rendered as image pixels. You'd need an app that could make a screen rendition in pixels and do OCR on it. Together with a bit of artificial intelligence that could decide in what order the reading has to be done and that makes decisions what actually a text paragraph is and what language the text is in.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also be aware that some of your paragraphs on page 2 are already rendered in pixels where the others are clear SVG shapes. This difference in quality is visible; even more if a human reader with impaired vision has to zoom in:

PublishOnlineDocument-Text-Pixels-vs-SVG-Shapes.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't take credit for this, as it is an Adobe example from there website 😉

But thank you so much, for clarifying and a good explanation of why it can't be "read-out-loud".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"it is an Adobe example from there website"

Oh well…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines