Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem: Footnote number's always 1 throughout document

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm new to InDesign and just added my first Footnote and a second one around 7 pages ahead. However, the second one was also numbered 1, insted of 2. Dunno how to fix this issue, also didn't change any settings regarding Footnotes.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks.  

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Are you sure that the footnotes are in the same story (meaning, connected series of text frames)? A new story will restart the footnote numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

You could tell if they're in the same story by opening up the Story Editor (Edit > Edit in Story Editor). If both locations are not in the Story Editor, they are in different stories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

That's the way the InDesign application does it. This is from the Help file: "A footnote consists of two linked parts: the footnote reference number that appears in text, and the footnote text that appears at the bottom of the column. You can create footnotes or import them from Word or RTF documents. Footnotes are automatically numbered as they are added to a document. Numbering restarts in each story."

So it would work if you could link the two stories. Or, someone may have a script that cou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that the footnotes are in the same story (meaning, connected series of text frames)? A new story will restart the footnote numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could tell if they're in the same story by opening up the Story Editor (Edit > Edit in Story Editor). If both locations are not in the Story Editor, they are in different stories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Just checked and they're not. Hadn't heard about Stories before this. How does InDesign divide text into stories? What if I need the Footnote numbering to be increasing throughout my document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way the InDesign application does it. This is from the Help file: "A footnote consists of two linked parts: the footnote reference number that appears in text, and the footnote text that appears at the bottom of the column. You can create footnotes or import them from Word or RTF documents. Footnotes are automatically numbered as they are added to a document. Numbering restarts in each story."

So it would work if you could link the two stories. Or, someone may have a script that could create footnotes in a different way. But I don't know about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot! @Steve Werner 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines