• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem saving documents to external drive and book on Mac

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working locally on a MacBook Pro with M1 Max Pro on Monterey version 12.6 using InDesign 2023 18.0

I created a Book and have created documents to add to the book. Both are saved on an external hard drive. I had no problems with InDesign 2021 with these same activities last year in October.

When I try to add the documents to the book, I get an error message telling me that the documents are locked and cannot be added to the book.

When I edit my documents, I am unable to save or save as. When I save, it refuses and gives me an error message suggesting that the documents are open in another app and suggests that I save as. When I save as, the error message  save that an attempt was made, but the document appears damaged.

I have tried to revert to previous versions without success. I cannot either amend old files or create new ones.

I tried also to download InDesign onto Windows 11 that I am dual booting without success.

This problem has completely stalled progress on my project for days.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Hi @Stephen26682603nwxn ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try the steps shared below:

1. go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility -> Unlock in lower left -> Add desired Adobe Softwares -> Make sure they are checked
  2. Next, scroll in the left column to "Full Disk Access" -> Add desired Adobe Software -> Make sure they are checked
  3. Lock in the lower left
  4. If open, software will need to be quit and restarted for changes to take effect.

Let us know if this h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, a Book file InDesign CC 2023 requires that all its documents need to be updated to InDesign CC 2023 format. Have you dont that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I deleted off olf versions of InDesign and created a test book and documents with Indesign 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Stephen26682603nwxn ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try the steps shared below:

1. go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility -> Unlock in lower left -> Add desired Adobe Softwares -> Make sure they are checked
  2. Next, scroll in the left column to "Full Disk Access" -> Add desired Adobe Software -> Make sure they are checked
  3. Lock in the lower left
  4. If open, software will need to be quit and restarted for changes to take effect.

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richabh:

Thank you. Everything seems to be working.

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that @Stephen26682603nwxn Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have the same problem and have followed the steps above to no avail. I work off a server and my latest version of indesign 2023 keeps opening files as read onle. Please help as this is really interferring with my work flow. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem since updating to v.18. I'm working on a Windows PC, working locally from a server. Some files (not all) open as Read Only. What is even stranger is that if I close and open the same file again it opens as Read/Write.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're also seeing this problem on Windows, we've found that we must close the file, then select File / Open - choose the file and open 'Copy' - (not Normal or Original) - this new file can then be 'saved as' a new file which in turn can be opened, modified, and saved OK.  This does only seem temporary, if we exit InDesign and restart the problem comes back in that the new files open sometimes open [Read-only].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there a PC equivalent to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines