Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with placing MS Word equations in InDesign

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

I have a Word document that has A LOT of equations that were made with the Word Equation Tool (and not MathType). When I place the document in ID all the equations disappear. I can't retype all the equations as there are a lot of them and I am looking for a plug or solution to my problem...

I tried saving the document in MS Word 97-2003 format (which converts all the equations into pictures) but when placing that doc in ID the equations are in really bad quality.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be great if Word's equation editor worked across all technologies, and not just in Word itself? Sure would help those who create and use STEM documents, as well as those who create accessible documents or use them.

Here's a workaround so that you can get high-quality vector versions of the equations your author inserted into the Word document.

1. Open the Word document in Word.
  2. Export a print or press-quality PDF from Word.
    1. Be sure to tweak the PDF Conversion settings so that it embeds all fonts, subsets if less than 100% were used.
    2. And particular to Word, clear out the 2 field boxes in the lower right.
    3. You might need to explore the Advanced Settings in the export dialogue in order to get to these settings.
  3. Once exported, open the PDF in Acrobat.
  4. Bring up the Edit PDF toolbar and select the Edit tool.
    1. Select all of the pieces that make up the equation. You can drag a marquee select around them.
    2. Make sure you catch all of the equation's pieces, as it's easy to miss an exponent or something small.
  5. Right-click on the selected equation and select Edit Using / your favorite vector drawing program, such as Illustrator.
  6. Once in Illustrator (or another graphics drawing program), you now have a graphical version of the equation. Since it's vector, you'll be able to scale it up/down without any resolution problems.
  7. Crop the artboard to fit the equation graphic.
  8. Save it as an AI, EPS, PNG, or graphical PDF file as needed, and place it in your InDesign layout.
|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, good for a few equations - what if there are 500+ over 400 pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to see if MathType will convert the Word equations into MT ones. I seem to remember it can but it has been a while since I used MT and no longer have access to it.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines