Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with script

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to modify some properties from one paragraph syle, but when I execute the code below appears this error "JavaScript Error: Object does not support the property or method "paragraphStyles".

// code

for (i=0;  i<app.documents.length; i++){

var style=app.documents.paragraphStyles.item("texto justificado");

style.justification = Justification.LEFT_ALIGN;

}

If anyone could can help me, it would be great!:)

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

var style=app.documents.paragraphStyles.item("texto justificado");

should be

var style=app.documents[i].paragraphStyles.item("texto justificado");

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Manan, that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To complete Manan's answer, documents is a collection, i.e. a pseudo array of documents. When you call paragraphStyles property on this collection, it fails because paragraphStyles is actually a property of the Document object which is an instance of the Documents collection.

Hence Manan's answer, use the property on the specific instance through either : 

…documents.item(n).paragrapStyles… or documents.item("myDoc.indd").paragrapStyles…;

…documents[n].paragrapStyles…

…documents.itemByName("myDoc.indd").paragrapStyles…

…documents.itemByID(12345).paragrapStyles…

all those properties details can be found here:

https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/#Documents.html#d1e55773

HTH

Loic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Loic.Aigon for adding in the explanantion. I did not write it probably because I was feeling too lazy or maybe I thought that it was a typo that @davidr40577873 was just not looking at. However, you coming in and writing in a detailed explanation anyhow is very much appreciated.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pleasure @Manan Joshi I did think of the rookie me more than a decade ago taking a grip on those concepts. And the forum was a good place to start with alongside documentation 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could also be that the snippet was copied from an old forum post where the iterators had been stripped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks @Loic.Aigon  for your accurate explanation. Now I need to know how to extend this script (modifyng the properties included the paragraph style) to ALL paragraph styles my indd includes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming none of the styles are in groups, you can accomplish everything with a single line:

app.documents.everyItem().paragraphStyles.everyItem().justification = Justification.LEFT_ALIGN;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you wonder what this everyItem method is, that condensed the code to just a single line, you would be well served by reading a bit about it. A couple of brilliant article on it that almost all of us refer are listed below. Thank @Marc Autret for these invaluable gems

https://www.indiscripts.com/post/2010/06/on-everyitem-part-1

https://www.indiscripts.com/post/2010/07/on-everyitem-part-2

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Now I need to know how to extend this script (modifyng the properties included the paragraph style) to ALL paragraph styles my indd includes."

Hi @davidr40577873 ,

the scope of item("Name") or itemByName("Name") when it comes to paragraph styles, character styles, table styles or cell styles is not as perfect as it might seem from your perspective. It does not reach into style groups! Also note that you cannot change the first paragraph style in the collection of paragraph styles, the "No Paragraph Style" style.

You'll reach all paragraph styles with the document's allParagraphStyles array and loop that beginning with the second item in the array:

// ExtendScript (JavaScript) SAMPLE CODE:

var allParaStylesOfDoc = app.documents[0].allParagraphStyles;
var allParaStylesOfDocLength = allParaStylesOfDoc.length;

for( var n=1; n<allParaStylesOfDocLength; n++ )
{
	allParaStylesOfDo[n].justification = Justification.LEFT_ALIGN;
};

Warning: For various reasons discussed elsewhere in this forum it is good practice not to change the Basic Paragraph style of a document. So you would start the loop of paragraph styles with iterator number 2 instead. The Basic Paragraph Style is always the second one in the allParagraphStyles array of a document:

var n=2;

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines