• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems creating editable PDFs using form features in InDesign

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really sure whether to post this under InDesign, Acrobat or some other non-Adobe forum, so let's see where we get with this.

Every now and then I'm asked to make a design "editable" so that people can customise certain sections (eg, a product ticket where the product name and price can be changed). I do this by setting up form field in InDesign, exporting to PDF and then tweaking the fields in Acrobat.

However this process is so painful!! To be fair, I don't think Acrobat was designed with this usage in mind, but the font editing features are sorely lacking and there always seems to be some problem with the vertical text alignment (among many other things):

Indesign vs Acrobat.jpg

My questions are:

1. Are there ways I can make this easier in either InDesign or Acrobat?

2. Are there third-party plug-ins for InDesign that could help?

3. Are there completely unrelated online apps where I could do this more easily, just for simple one-off jobs (like Canva for forms)? Since no offense Adobe, this functionality clearly isn't a priority for you guys. 

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no, and no.
If you need to edit InDesign files, use InDesign or for content only, InCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. If I was the one editing it I would definitely just use InDesign, but these are for distributing to our retail store managers (most of whom have next to no tech savvy). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but you'll have to find another way. That is not how PDFs work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... it is how PDF forms work... it just works badly. But thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a maxium size of font that can appear in the text form fields, I can't remember the size but something like 14pt or 18pt, maybe that's why your text is being cut. I'd be interested to hear how you get on after investigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek I just discovered something interesting – I didn't actually know that there was a max size, because I've never had it reject a size before. Looking in Acrobat, the dropdown menu only goes to 18, but if you just type a number it works fine. The largest field in the form I screenshotted (the price) was 122. After testing it seems that the REAL limit is 300.

Also it's not the reason the text is getting cut – smaller sizes have problems too. It looks like it's something to do with the padding required for the font. You can manually adjust the field frames but it's a nuisance and often ends up with fields overlapping each other to allow enough space. Acrobat is not as intuitive about frame fitting as InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll repeat my advice...give it up. This is not what form fields were intended for.

There is no way to control the PDF reader nor is there a way to assure that the proper fonts will be installed.

You're wasting your time on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the input Bob, but I actually have been able to make it work exactly as I intended. It's just a painful process so I was looking for alternative solutions/applications from people who have struggled with the same issues.

Indesign vs Acrobat final.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign are you running? Derek is correct about font and font-size limitations in form fields, but the latest version added some long-needed, InDesign-side, form-field-dedicated font controls. If you could be more specific about exactly what you need to achieve, I may be able to help you get there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, the recipient, AFIK, still needs those fonts installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A valid point, surely, especially if the application is predicated upon broad-cast deployment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines