• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish Online - Linked PDF on external website won’t open

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Publish Online for an interactive newsletter created in InDesign. All the links work as intended except one link to a PDF residing on the website of my client: all you get after clicking on that link is a blank page. I would prefer not to include this PDF directly in my newletter, just provide the link to it. Is there a special way to create the link so it would be possible to open and download that PDF? Is the PDF itself the problem (I don’t know how it was created and saved)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a different browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arrgh! Should have occured to me!

It turns out it works with Safari on my iPad and with Firefox on my Mac, but not with Safari on my Mac. Any workaround?

OS Sierra 10.12.6, Safari 11.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the link so we can check on our end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diane,

Here’s the link to the published document. The problem is with the yellow image on the 3rd page.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/c888a885-dfcb-4e58-abc0-ab2fe2d2fd7c

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine on Edge on Windows 10.

This is a browser issue and I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The links are fine on Firefox Mac and Chrome Mac. But not Safari. The browser window comes up blank. Yet the URL appears to be correct.

I tested another PDF from my own website and got the same behavior (created a file with a link to the PDF and publish via Publish Online). The browser window for the PDF opens, but is blank. If I copy/paste the URL of that blank window into a new browser window, the PDF displays correctly.

I created a PDF of the document, and the links from the PDF open the online PDF correctly, even in Safari.

So it's something between Publish Online and Safari.

Perhaps someone from the Adobe team could comment. Smells buggy to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it’s a link that opens a new window, that would seem to be a PDF reader issue in Safari, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I simply paste the PDF's URL into a new browser window in Safari, the PDF reads just fine. So Safari can read the PDF, just not when it's linking from a Pub On doc. It also can read it if the link is in a PDF, as I mentioned. Make sense? (Well, the behavior doesn't make sense, does my description?...   )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhhhhhhhh.

Well, that's interesting, isn't it? But if every other browser can read the link, why can't Safari? I'm stumped but I'm still not sure where the issue is.

Perhaps there's an issue reading longish URLs as links. Maybe try a URL shortener?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diane,

Your description make sense, but as you say the behaviour doesn’t, since it reads fine in Safari on my iPad. My vote is for a bug in the desktop version of Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d vote that way, too. You can report it to Apple, but I doubt it’s going to be very high on their list of things to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, but I'll report it to the Adobe folks, in case there' something they can do on their end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Te contesto en español:

No es por el PDF ni por el servidor donde este alojado. A nosotros nos pasaba lo mismo.

¿te abre algún PDF enlazado?

Nuestra solución fue usar un visor de PDF:

GitHub - mozilla/pdf.js: PDF Reader in JavaScript

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue but only in Firefox. It works fine in Chrome, Safari, and Edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. If it's working in other browsers, I'd recommend resetting Firefox settings and see if that resolves the issue. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines