• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

QR code create script, indesign, within xml import

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heyall - scripts anyone? I have a catalog project with 500+ items. Indesign doc is set up with multiple linked boxes and imports tagged xml (photos, titles, descriptions) which is formatted with paragraph styles. Client now wants a QR code to a web link for each entry and can include in the xml. My guess is there is a way/script that I can use to look for the QR tags in the xml and convert that link to a QR code.

I've seen it's possible using Data Merge, but that option won't work for us and have tried solutions like at https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/script-qr-code/m-p/11826648#M414275 to no avail. Also, did I mention I don't know much about scripts? 

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @abhazelton, like the post you linked to, you can see that we can create QR codes via the scripting API. But you haven't given us much information to go on. Like, why didn't the other solution work in your case? Can you share a test version of your XML with a test URL? I assume your aim is to generate a QR Code on the fly from the URL in the XML?

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the response @m1b , the problem with the solution given at the link above is most likely my inability to incorporate it properly. It took a bunch of attempts using the "snippets" to save a file that would be recognized by InDesign as a script, and when I ran it, I received additional errors - then gave up, frustrated. I've attached a short example of the xml client delivers (imagine another 1500 items) and a screenshot of the script. If I had an actual script file - then at least I could reverse engineer it to see where I went wrong in my attempts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines