Exit

QR Code Indesign

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 
I am contacting you because I have a problem in Indesign
Currently, I am making QR-Codes for business cards in Indesign. The problem is that when I put accents in the fields (for example: é,ô,è...), and that I scan it with an iphone it does not take into account the accents with you a solution to solve this problem ?

Also, I tried another solution by putting the Vcard V2.1 and V3.0 in plain text, it works on IOS and Android when the QR-code has a black color, but when I put it in white the Android can't read the information, on the other hand on the iPhone it works.

Do you also have a solution for this problem ?

Thanks in advance for your answers;

Rémi 

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Print , Publish online , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a limitation in the vCard form. Just don't think that it was considered that it was considered when the feature was designed. I would suggest adding a feature request for having a code page drop down to the form… it can be that it was left out "intentionally since the QR code becomes more complex with each information that is added, so that having the feature would lead to having higher failiure rate for all vCards. I know it's not "fair" but it's not unusual compromise to a feature.

How well each device reads the QR code has to do with the device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Its seem it would be very difficult to have such a special character in it may be. Not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried a few of the web QR generators, and they include accented characters. A test with ID also included them, using QR Droid on Android as well as the OS version reader.

Is this a limitation with iOS alone?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That suggests that the accented characters are decomposed. Try entering the characters as single, undecomposable, characters (using the Glyphs panel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is impossible to integrate glyphs in the QR Code generator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the accented characters work when I put it in plain text when a QR code, but when I change the color to white android can not read the Vcard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this is a Mac-OS thing I'm misunderstanding, but as far as I know, a character is a character once it's entered, regardless of the method used to put it there. (Under Windows at least, I can use the Glyphs panel or Alt-keycodes; Word and other MS apps also use a multi-key entry method. But all three still put the same ANSI character in the text.)

You're also seemingly describing two different problems — entering the accented character and having it survive through to the QR reader (something I have not found a failure on in several different approaches), and Android being able to read a white QR. I just tested a white QR, with a number of accented characters, using the Business Card/Vcard layout, and my Android phone was able to read it with both the native QR reader and QR Droid.

I do assume you're placing the white QR image on a dark background so that there is adequate reading contrast, right?

Other than that, can you clarify exactly what is not working with both accented characters and a white QR code? And how they might be connected? I'm not seeing how either is an ID feature issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is an example of QR code I made on Indesign.
I put this in the raw text of the QR code and changed the color to white:
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N:GONCALVES;José Joaquim
FN:José Joaquim GONCALVES
ORG:https://www.vigny-depierre.com/
TITLE:Professional Marketplace
TEL;CELL:+33 (0)7 85 83 12 71
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+33 (0)4 50 49 54 05
ADR;WORK:;;160 Rue Georges de Mestral;74160 Archamps;France
EMAIL;WORK;INTERNET:jgoncalves@vigny-depierre.com
URL:https://www.vigny-depierre.com/
END:VCARD"

When I scan it with my iPhone it works, but with a Samsung it can't read the information all the fields are empty.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my S9 refuses to read that one. It is reaching the limits of QR resolution, though, and I'd bet it's a hair's difference in the iPhone and Android QR readers' resolution.

I took the image and manipulated it several ways in Photoshop, preserving the sharpness at least as well as printing would do. It would not work in any color or size combination. If an iPhone reads it, it must be a valid construction, but again I suspect it's just at the limit of QR resolution. I've had other very fine-grained ones fail to read consistently.

An imperfect technology, but the "fail on white" is unusual. Can you post a black one that works for your Android?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is the QR code in black, it works on IOS and Android

Capture d’écran 2022-02-13 à 18.45.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, it does. That's REALLY odd.

On the other hand, they are not identical. Not even close. It's a little tricky since you provided them in different resolutions, but an overlay in PS shows completely different patterns.

And inverting the white one to black gives a perfectly clean read as well.

Not sure what's going on here; I suggest you export two samples at exactly the same (high) resolution and do a comparison in Photoshop. If they're as different as what I find here, it looks like ID is choosing some different encoding algorithm because the grid is white.

You COULD export in black and invert the image in PS as a workaround, I guess. But this may be worth reporting as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the answer, where can I make the request to add this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rémi,

just used your Vcard V3.0 sample text to create a QR-Code in [Paper] and another one with [Black].

I see no differences in the rendering of both codes with my German InDesign 2022 version 17.1.0.50.

Checked this with stacking both frames on top of each other and used the Effects panel to apply the "Difference" effect to the top one. Here some screenshots:

TwoQRCodesNextToEachOther.PNG

TwoQRCodesStacked-EffectDifferenceApplied.PNG

Download the document from my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0101v1andiuoqn0/TwoQRCodes-WhiteAndBlack-SameCode-2022.indd?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you you will save me a lot of time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rémi said: "thank you you will save me a lot of time"

Hi Rémi,

could explain a bit what you mean by that?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines