• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

QR codes data merge, URL always shows as plain text in multiple records

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need 500 QR codes with different URLs.. this is the second time I refuse that kind of job...
now I want to learn using InDesign for this...

but every time I make a QR, the codes won't come out...
it's always shown as plain text...

what am I doing wrong?
can someone help me? thanks in advance...

NB:is there any other kind of placeholders? i'm using text placeholders

SS1.PNGSS2.PNGSS3.PNG

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

You can't do variable QR codes in that version of ID CC. Your screenshot indicates it is version 9.0. According to the new features guide (https://riponprinters.com/wpv2/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/indesign-new-features-1-0e28093cc-2014.pdf) you need to be in at least 10.0 to do this.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 22.42.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to share your InDesign and data files? Something is causing that column to not read as QR Code within InDesign, even though it looks in your screen shot as if it is set up properly. It should show in the Data Merge panel with a QR code symbol (not a T) to its left

Like URL in this image:

Screenshot 2020-02-07 14.25.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I consider that T icon...

that's why I don't understand...

Here's the file...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eZywtNRUVcMjxO8DnHP3QAUe-fDk7-XB?usp=sharing

FYI, this is my InDesign version..

ver idver id

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like a couple of things are going on: 1) InDesign is not seeing the QR column as a QR code data type. Instead of a "T" icon to the left of the field in the Data Merge panel, there should be a QR code icon. Although it appears to be OK in your screenshot of the source file, make sure there are no other characters other than "#QRcodes" in that column and that there is no space following the "#" character; 2) There needs to be a QR code placeholder instead of a text frame in the layout.

To create a QR code placeholder:

1. Choose Object > Generate QR Code.

2. Select Type: Web Hyperlink and type in any URL, then click OK.

3. Place the QR code where you want it to appear in your layout.

4. With the selection tool, click on the QR code to select the contents of the frame using the Content Grabber. Hit Delete to delete the contents while leaving the containing frame.

5. Select the QR code frame, then click on the QR code data field in the Data Merge panel.

Screenshot 2020-02-07 14.44.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first opened your InDesign file, I saw the same result you did. I opened and resaved your CSV, and when I updated the file, it worked as expected. (Keep in mind that the one that says No Address yields a bar code that reads as No Address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming the above that your files work after resaving the CSV file and fixing the QR code placeholder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can't do variable QR codes in that version of ID CC. Your screenshot indicates it is version 9.0. According to the new features guide (https://riponprinters.com/wpv2/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/indesign-new-features-1-0e28093cc-2014.pdf) you need to be in at least 10.0 to do this.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 22.42.38.png

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines