Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

QR Codes scanning blank

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InDesign guru's and community

I hope someone can help me asap with QR codes that are not working.

I have 9 business cards, each with a unique QR code (business card type) generated in Adobe InDesign about a year ago.

These codes have always worked, until recently when, upon client request, I had to update the physical address of the office in the code, and added two codes to two new cards.

Now, only the first code scans properly. All the others are blank when you try scan them, for some reason.

Please can someone assist with this issue that my client picked up, and is now a little embarrassing.

Best,

Sarah

Below works:

Cyest IMS_Business Cards_90mmW X 50mmH_QR code error.jpg

Below not working, generated same as above:

Cyest IMS_Business Cards_90mmW X 50mmH_QR code error2.jpg

Cyest IMS_Business Cards_90mmW X 50mmH_QR code error3.jpg

Cyest IMS_Business Cards_90mmW X 50mmH_QR code error4.jpg

And another 6 cards following those that also have blank QR Codes for some reason.

PLEASE HELP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

The total number of characters encoded is what matters. The software isn't likely to be at fault. If the dots in the pattern are too small, SOME scanners can't read them and SOME printers can't print them. That looks a very, very, crowded barcode.

Bear in mind that if your scanner is marginal some will be worse. Many will fail completely, but nobody will complain. Business may be silently lost. This, as I said, is why many people just use URL shorteners.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried scanning the three QR Codes that the OP is having issues with, but using my iPhone5 with the quick scan app (‎Quick Scan - QR Code Reader on the App Store  ) I can read these QR Codes without any problems.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many characters, including spaces, are included in the old and new codes? What size do you run them? If you print st double size do they work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin

These are still not working. They should be able to work with any QR code scanner? Surely?

This is what I get if I scan with my QR scanner app:

IMG_1285.PNG

and with the native iPhone camera:

IMG_1284.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first works for me on my iPad, not the next three. Colin, why do they work for you and not me!?!

Anyway, scshorten, select the QR code in InDesign > right-click > Edit QR Code.

Show us a screen shot if you don't see the problem. Or try creating a new one from scratch and see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about making it larger in the layout?. i know, from experience, that if there is a lot going on in the QR code graphics and the code is small in the layout, it will not read it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan

These codes are 2.5 X 2.5 cm on the business cards. This size worked perfectly before and should still work now? This seems to be a technical error not a sizing problem.

I am still unable to get these codes to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane

I did try making a new code from scratch but to no avail. The same thing happens and the new QR code comes up blank after scanning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

do you test code reading from printed samples with an office printer?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is some info on QR codes, print resolution and scanner resolution. It's pretty complex but different scan and print methods are going to break down at different points. This is why commonly QR codes just contain a URL generated by a link shortener rather than anyone's life story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reduce the amount of data. If it starts working you were borderline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically which data? The physical address?

That was the only information that I amended on the codes from when they were working to now.

Also, why would the first code on the first business card work and not the rest? See the previous images in my initial message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, this is still not solved, and I don't know what else to do.

I should not have to go to a third party software (and pay) for these codes. Adobe QR codes have always worked without any issue?!

PLEASE HELP

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 11.41.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The total number of characters encoded is what matters. The software isn't likely to be at fault. If the dots in the pattern are too small, SOME scanners can't read them and SOME printers can't print them. That looks a very, very, crowded barcode.

Bear in mind that if your scanner is marginal some will be worse. Many will fail completely, but nobody will complain. Business may be silently lost. This, as I said, is why many people just use URL shorteners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your assistance. The problem was, as you mentioned earlier, in the physical address. Information like 'postal code' and 'city' was being repeated. I cleaned that up, made a new QR code with all information manually typed in (no copy paste from elsewhere to avoid any hidden characters) and that seemed to work! I have re-done every single QR code now and they all work!

Thank you to all who have assisted! I am hugely grateful.

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With due respect, I want to let you know that this kind of problem showed up when it is copying and pasting data into InDesign QR Code generator. In this case native iPhone camera will show "No usable data found" and even free third party apps with the same iPhone will read the QR Code perfactly.

My concern,

- InDesign generated QR Code can be read with some apps, it can not be read with some apps | Phone.

- InDesign generated QR Code can not be read with native iPhone camera, it can be read with the same iPhone using other apps.

The problem is "Why do I copy and past daaata even the daaata visually correct".

Some times Tech users must face such a time wasting situation and theories never save you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Faced the exact same issue.  This was invaluable.  I had aslo copied and pasted the address.  I tried everything until I stumbled upon this forum.  Once I physically typed in the address...BOOM.. it worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines