• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Cannot place this file. invalid png file indesign" WHY??

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on a document many times and lately everyday and today when opening it, I get this message "cannot place this file. invalid png file indesign" and I cannot export a PDF from it due to that message. Why is this happening suddenly? 

What can I do? Please help

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

It actually just working. I have my files from a Sharepoint folder synced to my computer and when i re-synced it worked again, so I guess that was the issue. Thanks so much for your reply anyway 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will help to know your OS and version of InDesign.

That message is not, of course, terribly helpful, so we have to guess. It sounds like th file acually opens, so let's presume the message means waht it says and you have an invalid (for some reason) .png file that you have tried to link.

Have you checked the links panel to see if there's an indicator for which file is the problem? Is it on your hard drive or some other location? Have you tried relinking it? Can you open the problem file in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually just working. I have my files from a Sharepoint folder synced to my computer and when i re-synced it worked again, so I guess that was the issue. Thanks so much for your reply anyway 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linking files and working directly out of an active synced system (like Sharepoint, Dropbox, Google Drive) is a recipe for eventual disaster. Adobe does not support nor recommends this workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Where does the PNG come from? I ask, because there are several flairs of PNGs, not all are compatible to Adobe InDesign. E.g., there exists a PNG from Macromedia/Adobe Fireworks. 

As I see, that those forms you show in your screenshoot are also available as vector files. Best if they are AI, PDF/X-4. Could you use them instead? The quality would be better with veector files anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines