• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Cannot place this file. Invalid PNG file" and overall constant crashing on M1 chip

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[TITLE EDITED BY MODERATOR]

This has been hell of a nightmare - with works to submit and completely unable to use the program - but monthly payments always good to go out of the pocket.

Pretty much all images from documents are being eliminated due to "Cannot place this file. Invalid ONG file" and the file can't even be exported.

An overall slow performance and contant crashing - terrible, terrible, terrible!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , InCopy workflow , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you create the PNG file? From which program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG, not ONG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry you're having the hassles, but it's not uncommion to have an errant .PNG file gum up the works in a print workflow.

1-Preflight.jpgBut rather than focusing on the problem, let's take a look at finding a solution for you. First place to look is in your preflight widget at the bottom of your document window.If there's a red dot highlighting error(s), open the Preflight panel by clicking on the downward-pointing chevron to open the panel and identify the problem(s) you have with the document.

1-Links n images.jpgIf your Preflight indicator isn't showing that you have a problematic .png file, the next step is to use the File>Package... menu command to find errant graphic(s). In the Links and Images option. Here you'll find the linked files placed in your InDesign document, and the types of files they are. So you can see any and all .png files you've placed in the document. If you're lucky, checking the Show Problems Only box will highlight the problematic .png files so you can identify them and fix them with Photoshop and get past your issues.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't place it in the first place, you have the options to translate it into a .ai file with Adobe Illustrator and/or a .jpg file in Photoshop.

Sometimes the best way to get past that brick wall is to walk around it rather than beat your head against it. I'm a big fan of the workaround if I can help it.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is a correct PNG InDesign is able to import it. I would not recommend it as better file types are available. But InDesign should have not a problem.

But there exists another PNG, which roots from Adobe/Macromedia Fireworks. This cannot be imported.

BTW, don't use EPS in modern times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get what you're saying, but if the original poster is having problems placing a given .png file, I think it's safe to assume there's a problem with said .png file. And Fireworks is only one tool that can create a problematic .png file; there are others, both programs and web services dedicated to web/digital production, which can output problematic files for InDesign.

Adobe authorities might chafe at the suggestion that Illustrator and Photoshop are really great file translation utilities, but I personally think that is one of Creative Cloud's secret superpowers. Audition is great for translating all my old music .wmv files and Premiere Pro is Swiss Army Knife-versatile for translating all kinds of video formats as well.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines