Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Let InDesign Determine Colors"

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC on a Mac.

In Print>Color Management there is an "Option" of "Let InDesign Determine Colors". Presumeable, the alternative would be to let the printer driver take over. However, I've yet to find a combination of settings that make anything else available. Clicking the downward arrow shows a menu containing only one option: "Let InDesign Determine Colors".

How can I get other choices?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

If the Print driver is PostScript you’ll get this choice:

Screen Shot.png

But in either case the Print Driver’s settings located under Printer... would affect the output

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Directly from InDesign - you can't. Export your work to pdf and print from Acrobat.

Color Management settings usually are located in Print>Advanced dialog window (Advanced Print Setup).

Not sure about exact location on Mac, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Print driver is PostScript you’ll get this choice:

Screen Shot.png

But in either case the Print Driver’s settings located under Printer... would affect the output

Screen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just as a FYI, the same menu in Illustrator shows the PostScript Option, but grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s grayed out if the Printer is not postscript. Here it’s grayed out with native Epson driver, but not with a software RIP

Screen Shot 4.png

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. OP obviously doesn't use PostScript driver, otherwise he/she wouldn't be here asking.

2. When you care about colors, direct printing from InDesign isn't your best choice, anyway. Printing from pdf is a recommended workflow, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. OP obviously doesn't use PostScript driver, otherwise he/she wouldn't be here asking.

Right, I was simply showing that with postscript drivers you do get another option in the InDesign dialog, which seemed to be the question.

I have both postscript and native drivers, and the Let PostScript Printer Option doesn’t have any significant affect, but the OS Printer... dialog (the print driver’s options usually found under print Settings or Print Features) has a huge affect on color. The results really depend on the capabilities of the driver and not InDesign’s Print>Color Management tab, which simply sets up the source color sent to the printer, and not the final destination or output color.

2. When you care about colors, direct printing from InDesign isn't your best choice, anyway. Printing from pdf is a recommended workflow, isn't it?

With a native driver that might be true, but with the Postscript RIP I don‘t get any benefit by exporting to PDF—the Printer...>Print Feature options are very different between the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines