• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Unable to package" warning -- what to do?

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have InDesign​ 2017.1 on the mac OS High Sierra. I get the message "Unable to Package the document. Indesign cannot access X" but my coworkers have no problems. Is this possibly another High Sierra conflict with adobe products, or is there something else possibly at work. Please advise.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to package the same files that your coworkers are packaging? If not then try checking the names of your links for invalid characters such as "/" in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are  files with the same types of names (here's an example: 39332_11NJm_ac.indd). I wonder if its my operating system. My coworkers are on Os Sierra 10.12.6, while I'm on High Sierra 10.13.1; I uploaded the patch this morning to get rid of that annoying blurry cursor bug (still haven't used indd yet to check if its holding) but the patch did not correct my packaging issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried trashing your preferences?

To do so:

With InDesign closed Launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe InDesign” and “com.adobe.InDesign.plist”. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you SO much, Bill. This worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about the link file names. Are there any accented characters? Illegal characters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Respectfully, Bob, that's already been asked and answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, folks. Two separate updates (apple's High Sierra patch and Adobe's CC 2018) have resolved the issues I've experienced. Packaging is now functional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing mentioned was an INDD file and no mention of accented characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See last sentence of Comment 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using email, Bill. I may have missed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just encountered the same problem although I'm up to date with High Sierra (four days ago and no new update since then) and have only just updated InDesign (10 minutes ago).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same questions for you as for the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this error message as well since updating InDesign CC 2018 to the latest version.

The message is:

Unable to package the document.

InDesign cannot access 'data$:Communications:Design Files:SCHOOLS:2017-2018 Schools:Schools D:DS MACKENZIE:S18 DS MacKenzie Stationery:S18 DS MacKenzie Letterhead.indd'.

Is the problem the $ in the server name. This is not an issue on the other Macs running the latest InDesign CC 2018 and macOS Sierra and OS X El Capitan.

Seems like a High Sierra and InDesign CC 2018 (latest version) bug.

Opening and saving documents work without a problem. Also saving the file on the local drive and packaging works (that's my workaround at the moment).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it may be something to do with APFS.... we have the same issue here after upgrading our file server and client machines to High Sierra. Files seem to be fully locked now when they're open, moreso than before. We used to be able to duplicate files that other team members had open, but can't even do that now. Hopefully Adobe/Apple sort it out soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file server is a Windows share volume connected via SMB protocol. I haven't tested with a Mac running High Sierra with the old HFS+. I still think it's a High Sierra bug that both Apple and Adobe need to address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possibly a SMB bug then, we're connecting to our APFS file server via SMB. We're having all kinds of permissions issues, and 'ignore ownership' on that drive doesn't seem to be working either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution:

Connect to server using cifs:// instead of smb://

I found this allows you to package the files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue has been fixed with Apple’s MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E139).

You can try out the fix by updating your machine to the beta update from Apple.

Let us know if the issue is fixed for you after aforementioned High Sierra beta update.

Thanks,

Sanyam Talwar

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that I should run beta software on a production system that is only accessible to developers?

regards

Andreas Rutenberg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Apple OS X beta program is open to ordinary users:

Apple Beta Software Program

It's up to you to decide if you want to run it on a production system. Some people have an extra computer to use for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though it's not a true fix, if you're in a pressed-for-time-why-is-this-happening-to-me-right-now scenario, you can manually package the linked files by going into links window, selecting all, right clicking and selecting "Copy all link(s) to" and creating a folder within your file folder titled Links (or whatever you want to call it). Or of course you can choose to embed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines