Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

rasterize pdf in indesign

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am searching for a way to use pdfs in indesign and to rasterize them there. Now I am opening them before in photoshop to rasterize them. I only need the pdf-image rasterized not the whole page or the hole file, is there any way to do that faster in indesign only without a second program?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

You can force rasters when you export an InDesign page with placed PDFs or vectors as a flattened PDF (Acrobat 4).

Try creating a Flattener preset with a low Raster/Vector Balance (0 will rasterize the entire ID page), something like this:

Screen Shot 52.png

Add a transparent object anywhere on the spread and export to PDF/X-1a with the custom Flattener preset selected in the Advanced tab:

Screen Shot 53.pngScreen Shot 54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not export the PDF in Acrobat Pro? You can do multiple pages at once or create an action to do dozens/hundreds of files at once. Then import the image into InDesign. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer: There are two problems: it is again a 2 program work

second: Acrobat pro tells me that there is no image to export when I want to export the pdf as png. That is correct because it is a vector drawing so it does not solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is a misunderstanding: I need the whole pdf which is a vector drawing rasterized to layout it in indesign and I am searching for a way to rasterize it in indesign itself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publishing is a multi-program process. InDesign can do a lot of things but not everything. That being said, there may be a script that can process the image in the background.

I'm referring to exporting the entire PDF page as an image. It won't matter what is on the page--vector or otherwise. If you are dealing with very thin lines, they could be dropping out, but Acrobat has a feature to thicken the lines beforehand. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick answers! I am gonna try it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me (us) know if you still have problems.

The Fix Hairlines tool is under the Print Production category in Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can force rasters when you export an InDesign page with placed PDFs or vectors as a flattened PDF (Acrobat 4).

Try creating a Flattener preset with a low Raster/Vector Balance (0 will rasterize the entire ID page), something like this:

Screen Shot 52.png

Add a transparent object anywhere on the spread and export to PDF/X-1a with the custom Flattener preset selected in the Advanced tab:

Screen Shot 53.pngScreen Shot 54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Both options work for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the perfect fix for me (after many many hours of trying).. you can keep your preferred flattening settings also.. and just right-click on the offending page in InDesign and set that specific page to 0% (i.e. Rasterised) and that removes what they call stitching, where vectors underneath an image are showing white outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and that removes what they call stitching, where vectors underneath an image are showing white outlines.

Stitching is a only display artifact, it wouldn’t show in high res RIP’d output. In AcrobatPro you can uncheck Smooth line art in the Page Display Prefences to change the way Acrobat anti-aliases—that’s probably a much better option than forcing the page to rasters before it is output— @KL111’s original post wasn’t about stitching:

Screen Shot.pngScreen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines