• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Red Traffic Lights InDesign document. The Hyperlink character design...

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not want to have the Hyperlink Character Style in the document I am building. 
I wanted to have the hyperlinks appear in a different fashion. I built several new Character Styles, none of which functioned or changed anything, but when I reverted to HYPERLINK default style it worked, and when I couldnt see another option, I clicked WORD IMPORTED LIST STYLE 1. This changed the links in the document, but turned the red traffic light on for the hyperlinks I changed to theis style. When I attempted to revert to HYPERLINK style, it Did not change the now broken link/red light signal.

What is going on?

How do I get a new charcter style to actually function and why are the red lights on? Why cant I change back to HYPERLINK style?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023
Fixed:
The problem was I didn't put Hyperlink in the Title, but custom 1,2 whatever. I didn't knowni needed the title be be Hyperlink. Hrs of pain for 1 second of epiphany.

Get Outlook for Android<>

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is rather strong-armed when it comes to managing links. Short version: you will get further modifying the Hyperlink character style than you will trying to override or replace it.

What document format are you exporting to?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF. 

Well, I tried to change the Character Style, nothing happened. There was no change in style in the links in doc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What PDF viewer are you using? If it's not Acrobat DC or Reader, that can be imposing problems of its own. (Not all PDF readers are the same, and most of the aftermarket ones and all of the browser-based ones have limitations.)

Most of this is not InDesign's doing — it's the PDF reader. Just as most browsers apply automatic color, underline etc. to links unless strongly overridden, many doc readers (PDF, EPUB, etc.) use their own hard-coded protocol to highlight and display links.

All that aside, I just did a quick test doc and applied a custom character style to the link, and it shows up just as intended in PDF — which was my recollection; I don't recall ever having any formatting issues with this situation. (I am more focused on EPUB, so I had to check my memory before making the claim.)

All I can suggest is this:

• Create the character style you want for your links.
  • Create each link using Hyperlinks {pane], drop-down menu, New Hyperlink, and specify your link style:

JamesGiffordNitroPress_0-1677455937033.png

• Export to PDF and make sure Include: Hyperlinks is checked.

The links should appear as styled in the PDF, at least, when viewed in Acrobat DC or Reader, wtih no guarantees for any other reader.

Note that fully formed links must be used, or the Hyperlink panel will show a red dot because it can't validate the link address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed:
The problem was I didn't put Hyperlink in the Title, but custom 1,2 whatever. I didn't knowni needed the title be be Hyperlink. Hrs of pain for 1 second of epiphany.

Get Outlook for Android<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not following, here. What 'Title'?

The name of the character style, if that's what you mean, can be anything. It's the overall setup through the New Hyperlink dialog that matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited the HYPERLINK character style and nothing is changing when i try to apply it to the links in the document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines