• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove purple grid without removing my grid?

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm new in InDesign. How do I remove the purple grid that was already there when I made my document, WITHOUT removing ALL my grids?

Regards

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View>Grids and Guides> Hide Guides

Unfortunately the Purple one is linked to the blue ones (ruler guides) as well as other ones, you can't turn just one off, as far as I know.

These are just Guides and don't output unless you tick the "Print Visible Guides and Baseline Grids" in the File>Print dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to the margin guides? Either hide them change them.

Here’s my standard newbie advice:

1. Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide. Best newbie book on the market: http://amzn.to/k2bkxg

2. Check out Lynda.com. This link will get you a free one week trial http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming you are talking about the column guides (not margin guides, eh Bob).

Adobe insists on having both margin and column guides in the document, it's been like that since PageMaker. I've never been able to find a practical use for the movable column guides that didn't seem a bit contrived, but if you add a couple of columns to your layout, you will likely see the logic. The magenta margins are page margins and as such constrain page elements, the purple column guides contrain the text.

As Bob mentions you can change the colour of the column margins to be  magenta the same as the page margins, then you wouldn't notice them, but that would likely lead to more confusion. The best solution is to accept them for what they are, and ignore them if you don't find them useful.

And by the way, it's not just the columns and margins that are linked in the display: all document guides, including bleed and slug, are similarly linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purple, magenta? What’s a bit a red between friends? J

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same problem and even found this thread in my Google search.

I solved it myself by clicking on nearly every function.

To solve the purple lines from appearing all over your document, quite simply:-

1. Look top left hand corner where you can see the emblem of Indesign - id

2. On the right of the emblem you will see 5 icons, the first one is Br which is Bridge - then 4 icons with drop downs

3. Got to the second icon and click the drop down, untick Guides and then they will disappear.

Simple! Job done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get the page and column guides out of sight by changing the screen mode. View > Screen Mode > Preview (instead of Normal)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change their color to white. Preferences-Guides & Pasteboard - Margins and Columns make them white

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean you don't want to see all of those vertical purple column grid lines, but you want to retain your margins and cyan guide lines, then simply change your column value to 1. This will essentially leave you with a box with a purple outline to represent your margins.

in the top menu, go to Layout > Margins and Columns ...  then replace whatever number is in the columns field with 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THIS is the answer that I needed. I wanted my cyan guides + margins but the template had existing columns, and I did not realize. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines