• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing lines/cells inside table

Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it somehow possible to remove lines/cells in a table. I am working on something that requires some lines to be 12 columns and some less. Is there a way to adjust cells/lines. I tried through cell options but it keeps changing the entire table instead of the cells I selected.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

It is:

a.) possible

b.) confusing

You can control lines at the table level and at the cell level.

To change the table border, or all of the interior vertical and/or horizontal lines, click in the table and choose Table > Table Options. The border command is under Table Setup, the interior line controls are found the Row Strokes and Column Strokes tabs. The border control is intuitive, but to turn off row and column strokes you have to actually turn them on and then set them to 0. For example, to rem

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe you need to merge cells

Schermata 2017-10-02 alle 11.58.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is:

a.) possible

b.) confusing

You can control lines at the table level and at the cell level.

To change the table border, or all of the interior vertical and/or horizontal lines, click in the table and choose Table > Table Options. The border command is under Table Setup, the interior line controls are found the Row Strokes and Column Strokes tabs. The border control is intuitive, but to turn off row and column strokes you have to actually turn them on and then set them to 0. For example, to remove the row strokes, set the alternating pattern to every other row, and then set First and Next to 0.

InDesign CCss_003.png

In your case, it sounds like you need to turn off all the interior lines in Table Setup, and then add them back in via Cell Options > Stroke and Fills, which has its own peculiar interface. Cell Options uses a proxy with blue and gray lines.

So to add a stroke to say, the left side of the selected cells, click to gray out the lines that you don't want to change. In my screen shot, the top, horizontal, bottom and vertical lines are gray. The only line I left blue in the proxy is the left line. Then I can choose 5 pt Magenta and only the left side of the cell is impacted.

InDesign CCss_004.png

InDesign CCss_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very helpful, thank you so much! Was on the right path but forgot to set to 0!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news!

I'm a big fan of InDesign tables, but as an InDesign trainer, I know how confusing they are to those who don't get use them as much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me/us! I use InDesign quite often but never used tables till today. It is fun to learn something new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU - wish I'd found this information a long time ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked fine, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes sense logically, but in my #wordproblemchallenged brain, I'm able to get rid of some of the columns, but not all - in the attached example, I managed to get rid of the left column, but cannot figure out how to get rid the right column - any assistance is welcome. ThanksScreen Shot 2022-08-12 at 1.47.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-12 at 1.48.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-12 at 1.48.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, confusing and absurd (five years later) — many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The border control is intuitive, but to turn off row and column strokes you have to actually turn them on and then set them to 0. ”

Who hired a Microsoft developer for this function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not half. What a joke this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super helpful but how do I get the choices in vladan_saveljic's image below back to the top of my window? Now that the properties are on the side I can't find this same option. So much easier to use!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy,

that's the Control Panel Vladan is showing.

Like all the panels in InDesign it is available from the Window menu.

It's also in the Typography workspace if you like to start with that for customization.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines