Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resize imported table in InDesign CC

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have imported a table from an Excel spreadsheet into an A4 InDesign page. I need to resize the formatted table so that I can fit it to one page (currently it is slightly larger than the page so I need to shrink it down).

Unfortunately, there is no option to resize the table once it has been imported, unlike an imported image which you can paste to fit the frame- does anyone know a work around?

I cannot recreate the table in InDesign as the Excel table has specific formatting and lots of detail...

Thanks,

Fae

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Hi Barb,

Unfortunately the table was too complicated to resize manually - there were merged cells, different sized rows, images etc.

As a work around, I saved the excel table as a PDF, making sure it was scaled to fit an A4 page, then I imported the PDF of the table into  InDesign. This way I could easily resize like an image.

Nonetheless, thank you for your help

Fae

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Faeb:

It's a multi-step process. Without seeing your exact situation, it will go something like this:

1. Format the text so that it is small enough to fit on a page.
  2. Reduce the row height and/or cell margins:
    Screenshot 2018-05-09 07.25.24.png
  3. Hold the Shift key to resize the right side of the table and then bottom the table—Shift tells InDesign to resize all the columns and all the rows—without it, it will just resize the final column or row.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Unfortunately the table was too complicated to resize manually - there were merged cells, different sized rows, images etc.

As a work around, I saved the excel table as a PDF, making sure it was scaled to fit an A4 page, then I imported the PDF of the table into  InDesign. This way I could easily resize like an image.

Nonetheless, thank you for your help

Fae

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Faeb:

That was going to be my next suggestion, since it was pre-formatted in Excel. Glad you are back on track.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I read: a too big table I want to place inside a page!

… So, just reduce it! (it took me 2 seconds -- no script, just InDesign and it's still an ID table totally editable!)

Best,

Michel, from FRIdNGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi faeb ,

to scale the table you have to scale the text frame the table is in.

Simply select the text frame with the table and use the percentage input fields of e.g. the Transformation Panel to do that.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

As mentioned there was no option to scale the table by selecting the text frame... I was able to make the frame smaller but this had no effect on the table itself.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Fae

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fae,

what do you mean by "no option" to scale the text frame?

A table is always tied to a text frame. And a text frame can always be scaled.

Example

Before scaling a text frame containing a table

ScalingTextFrameWithTable-1.png

After scaling a text frame containing a table to 50% :

ScalingTextFrameWithTable-2.png

Preferences for scaling ( from my German InDesign CS6 😞

ScalingTextFrameWithTable-3.png

Scaling preferences set to Apply Scaling Percentage.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe:

I did not know that!  And it works with the Scale X/Y Percentage buttons on the Control Panel too, of course.

Thank you, Uwe. A great way to start a new week.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-05-14 06.49.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines