Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resizing a document, getting "object is locked" message

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there ...

I am trying to resize a 24 page document just a little bit smaller. I'm using the current Indesign CC. There is one master page with not much on it.

Anyway, when I try to resize the layout in Document Setup, it keeps failing because of an error. And, it says "object is locked" and a page goes blank, but there are no objects locked on the spreads.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting the Essentials workspace and select Adjust Layout and tick Auto-adjust margins and Adsjust Font Size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, No, it doesn't work -- I just get a window that says "unable to adjust document layout because of an error."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here's a new twist. I decided to simply create a new file, the right size, and cut and paste from the old file to the new, but it's substituting 12 pt Minion for 10.5 Bembo Regular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign, the latest is 14.0.3?

Are you using Paragraph (and Character) Styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see ... I am using 14.02. And yes to paragraph and character styles. I'll update, in case that helps. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a deadline!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Derek! It worked perfectly for me....you saved the day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm getting this problem too, had to just create a new document (thankfully it was only 1 page!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a workaround. 

1. save indd to idml than open idml and save as new indd. Then try again

2. move your pages to the new document, save try again

3. If 1) and 2) not helps then save your document under new name and cut 50% of pages if after this all works - try to find a "bugged lock" on the second 50%, etc to time where you find exact bugged page. 

And from other side - did you check you layers? Is all layers unlocked? Is on all spreads you do CTRL+A and then CTRL+ALT+L

?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> I am trying to resize a 24 page document just a little bit smaller. 

Do you have equal proportions of the new document? Next workaround - do as you have PDF then choose new need it paper size in  Adobe PDF print settings in Acrobat, print to Adobe PDF with "fit" and don't worry about it

2019-10-08_11-48.png

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to resolve this issue by unlocking guides and column guides.

• View > Grids & Guide: Unlock Guides

• View > Grids & Guide: Unlock Column Guides

I hope that someone will find this useful.  😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines