• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restart numbering not working for numbered lists created w/ paragraph style

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2008 Feb 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: Numbered lists created with a paragraph style continue numbering from elsewhere in the document.
Software: InDesign CS3
Details: I would like numbered lists to begin with #1 rather than continuing numbering from elsewhere in the document.

If I highlight the list in question, then choose Type > Bulleted and Numbered Lists, the option to restart numbering is grayed out.

If I double click on the paragraph style and examine the Bullets and Numbering options the mode is "continue from previous number." If I change the mode to "Start at 1" every item in my numbered list has the number '1'.

I have no character styles applied and no overrides or local formatting applied.

Seems like the opposite problem from the discussion below:
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c055d95/2

Thanks,

Josh G.
Portland, OR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a different paragraph style for the first item in a list.

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, if there's another style that will always appear between the lists (eg, body text), make that style level 1 with no numbers and make your list level 2 with "restart after previous level" enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2008 Feb 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of other tips...

Make sure you use Paragraph styles

Make sure you name the lists (don't use the default name unless doing a continuous list document wide)

For a numbered list, make two styles, both part of the same named list:

One style, name NumList (for example) and set to continue from previous number;

The second style, name NumList1 and based it one the first;
set this style to (re)start the count at 1

Use a character style to format the numbers if desired.

I have a ID file with different numbered list examples at:
<http://www.ideastraining.com/PDFs/IDCS3_NumberingExamples.zip>
David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2010 Feb 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David C,

Could you tell me what format those numbering samples are? I unzipped th IDCS3_Numbering samples, but don't know which format to choose for Numbering Exmples.indd--htm, html, or pdf nor that file's relatinship to the _MACOSX

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a really old thread and david may not be watching anymore, so...

The zip file contains a CS3 .indd file that opens with InDesign. There's no HTML or PDF involved. Just ignore the _MacOSX folder. It's useless on PC and should be invisible to Mac users, but it needs to be extracted along with the .indd on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the file you'll probably get a missing plugin warning for History.IndesignPlugin. You can just ignore it and say OK and the file will open fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THX, Peter!

RoboHelp has the same problem, perhaps this example will help, but I can't get to it without InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revised link to InDesign sample numbering methods:

Adobe Creative Cloud

The file is zipped.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked well for me, although I'm normally fine with the reset trick below... many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I don't understand how this works, but I'd like to. I'm trying to make numbered lists using a paragraph style, that's not a problem, but I can't get it to reset after another style, in this case a bold header. I need each batch of numbered bullets to restart at 1 after each of the header styles. 

It's driving me nuts. 

See attached screencap.

I would really appreciate your help,

Mark Smullen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This fixed it for me, but what a ridiculous workaround instead of Adobe just implementing it properly.

Thank you! (but not YOU, Adobe!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick way to reset the numbers to start from 1 for that list is select the particular list, then
under Para control panel:
- hit the little bullets button
-and then hit the numbered list button again

this appears to start them from 1 for that list without having to do the above steps.

It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works every time! This option is located at the top of my screen, not in the Window panel for Paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!!! I'm using CS6 & this is the quickest way of restarting numbered lists. Love it! But do have to point out that it creates an override that you have to make sure you don't clear. If you do, it goes back to continuous numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always the simplest method!! Well done!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2008 Apr 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these suggestions work, or even make sense. Sorry.

I have the same problem as posed by Josh G. It seems this is a serious defect in ID with no way, sensible or ridiculous, of having a series of numbered lists, say ten or twenty lists, each list starting with 1 and ending with whatever.

Even creating a new paragraph style for each list fails to accomplish this. Fooling with "Mode" and "Restart Numbering" just gives all items in list the same number -- 1. This is pathetic.

Or what am I missing? I'm from Missouri.

Show me.

(please ;-)

Thanks.

regards,

stevenjs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2008 Apr 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's certainly not intuitive but it does work. The trick is to create a
numbered list style that has no number and use that to restart the
numbering.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2008 Apr 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't post the same complaint multiple times. Ask a specific
question.

--
Kenneth Benson
Pegasus Type, Inc.
www.pegtype.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People keep changing the subject before the question is answered.  I am having the same problem - I have used InDesign for many years and have not had this problem before - it is very unpleasant - especially on a deadline, and I can understand his frustration.  It ONLY happens when I use Paragraph Styles, not when clicking the Numbered List button.  I would forgo using the Paragraph Syles altogether when using the Numbering List, but sometimes I need to change the spacing, and I'd like it to look consistent.  I think I am going to have IT re-load InDesign.

This is a sample what I get:

1.Er aliquis nonu

1. Msan ulput ulla alisi te minis adiam vel ut lore magnis dolummodion ullandrem augait, cons eumsan velit nisl ullandio eum velendre core doloreet nonullaor aliquis erilisim venibh el et lum inci te molum

1.Odionsent la core consendre ver si.

1. Ex eugiat nullaorem vel inci blam eu feu feuip ex exer suscil duis duisit ad dit wisit nibh et nummy nis auguer

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2010 Nov 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing your settings there's no way to diagnose it. Can you upload the file somewhere?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding so quickly.  Oddly enough I attended an InDesign training session thru my firm yesterday (really very interesting, even though we know all that stuff0 and I had a chance to talk to the people in our Marketing Division - all of whom have the same problem and tell me they avoid numbered lists, if possible.  I am the only Graphic Designer in Engineering and that is NOT an option.  Incidentally, I duplicated what occurs on my computer when I was using the Training Room computer, so everyone could see what I was up against.

I did a screen capture of what happens when I use numbered lists in conjunction with Paragraph Styles.  I am attaching a PDF - not sure if it will post - if it doesn't, please contact me and we will figure something out.

Thanks for your help.

Cynthia L. Frear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attachments are disabled. You can emebed a screen caprure in a post if you visit the web page again, or you can use a file share service and post a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gottcha.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was that regarding the number, or the contact info, or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines