• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running Heading (Continued) within text boxes

New Here ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lengthy document, with many articles called "Boxes" that can run for several pages.

The first page will say, for example, "Box 1.1. This is the title text."

I want every threaded text boxes on pages 2+ to have "Box 1.1. (continued)" automatically appear at the top, followed by the uninterrupted flow of the narrative text. The continued title should not show up on the ToC.

Is this possible? (Feels like it should be.) I have tried searching online for a tut, but suspect I am not using the proper terminology.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Spoffenstein, and welcome to the InDesign Community forum.

No, this is not a feature of InDesign. (It is in Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe's other page layout program, used for technical document layout.) Scripting extends InDesign's feature set (not my area of expertise). Otherwise, you will need to do this manually.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb, that is good to know—yeah, we're an InDesign studio, no FrameMaker on the premises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Running Header text variable and two parent pages, setting one parent page to have just the Running Header or nothing and the second parent page to have the Running Header and " (continued)".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I misunderstood the question. 

@Spoffenstein Do you want the title in the top margin—as a running head—or in the box title at the top of the image area?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder

I think it's just Running Headers - I don't see anything about images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is our current solution, I was hoping maybe there was a new feature I wasn't aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You just need features that have always existed in InDesign since CS3! … So a twenty years.

Nested Styles + Grep Style + a simplistic Grep Find/Replace

Before the Grep F/R:

1.png

After the Grep F/R:

2.png

… So, just 1 click!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines