• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scale multiple objects with their own reference point?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So let's say I've got 10 similar objects on my page and I want all of them at 80% of their current size. I also want all of them to stay centered at the same point they are now. Is there a way to do that?

If I transform multiple objects at once the objects get treated as one object and are transformed through one reference point. But I want all of the objects to keep their own reference point, so I don't have to reposition all of the objects after scaling them.

Hope I formulated my question clearly.

Tnx.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

I found a way, but it is a bit of a workaround.

First, create a separate object on the pasteboard, a use Object > Transform to apply the desired transformation to this extra object .

Then select all the objects you want to change, and use Object > Transform Again > Transform Again Individually. This will apply the original transformation to each object on its own center. 

This works like Transform Each does in Illustrator, but as far as I could find, there is not a Transform Individually option th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way, but it is a bit of a workaround.

First, create a separate object on the pasteboard, a use Object > Transform to apply the desired transformation to this extra object .

Then select all the objects you want to change, and use Object > Transform Again > Transform Again Individually. This will apply the original transformation to each object on its own center. 

This works like Transform Each does in Illustrator, but as far as I could find, there is not a Transform Individually option that can be used alone on a first transform action in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tnx! Nice workaround!

Hope Adobe makes an option for tranforming multiple object indidually in a future update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If that's something that would improve your workflow, you can post a feature request on the InDesign User Voice site, where others can vote for it. That site is viewed regularly by InDesign product managers and engineers.

Feature Requests/Bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines