Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script loading plugin

Guide ,
Mar 13, 2011 Mar 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This all came about because I am not really up to much scripting.

Would a plugin that inserted menu items into InDesign and launched the script when the menu item was selected be of any use? The plugin would read a folder structure to determine where the menu item is to be inserted. The menu items name would be taken from the script name.

I have a web page that better describes this plugin.

P.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can modify menus with pure scripts, so there is no need for a plugin.

Besides my impression is that the majority of people who decide to go for a scripted solution are hesitant to introduce plugins, be it for maintenance and portability issues (dependency on products not under their control), or just because the plugin complicates the installation by a magnitude that is beyond Joe Average user.

On the other hand side, every plugin should also support scripting for unique features that it implements "under the hood".

Dirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dirk,

That is true, I didn't know at the time of writing the plugin.

One advantage it does offer. It allows the user to move the scripts menu item without having to know any scripting.

Would it be improper of me to put a link to the web page that describes the plugin better?

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO an announcement of a scripting related plugin is on topic and should be welcome here - and maybe someone will find it useful. Eventually over time it will evolve into the next big thing, when you start a competition with Harbs' Script Bay 😉

Note there is also Adobe Exchange ...

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=productHome&exc=19

Regards,

Dirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dirk,

As you say, it might be of use to someone.

http://www.kerntiff.co.uk/products-4-indesign/xmenus

Can't possibly compete with Harbs!

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pickory,

That looks like a very useful plugin. There are users that have no knowledge of scripting that would love to organize their scripts in menu items. I am not sure where Harbs' ScriptBay comes in here. ScriptBay was made for developers this seems more geared towards users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pickory, Nice work!

Fred Goldman wrote:

ScriptBay was made for developers this seems more geared towards users.

Actually, Script Bay was created with both developers and users in mind. A lot of the initial features were created to help get developers on the band wagon, but I still have quite a few tricks up my sleeve which will hopefully make users (and developers) very happy!

Stay tuned...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Harbs,

Good to hear new features are on the way.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Fred,

I hope it will help.

I wrote the plugin because I found it difficult to get my script menu items appear in the right place. This is purely down to my lack of scripting expertise.

Any ideas you want adding to the plugin, I will try to get them in.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines