Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selective Running Header?

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community,

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

In my book, the Running Header is linked to the H1 header. This works like a charm.

Except that there are pages which mark the start of new book parts (which contain several chapters each). It does not make sense for the running header to show on those start-of-parts pages, which are essentially pages containing nothing besides the title of the part.

the running header is laid out on the parent page.

part 1

chapter 1

chapter 2

chapter 3

part 2   (the running header on the start-of-part page will read "chapter 3" but I want it blank)

chapter 4

chapter 5

Are there ways I could achieve any of the following:
*) delete or change the Running Header variable when the paragraph style of the start-of-part page is detected on the page.
*) apply a different page parent when the paragraph style of the start-of-part page is detected.

Are there any other ways that would make it possible to achieve the desired result?

I know that I can cut the flow at the beginning of each part and manually change the parent to one without the running header, but it is tedious at best and error-prone (due to my human error) at worst. It would be lovely to retain auto-text-flow with the software doing the adaptation.

I hope I can tap into the collective intelligence of all of you to help me figure this out. I'm getting better at ID, but some tasks still stump me...

All the best, and many thanks in advance,

/Claudia

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would make a child of the parent/master without this textvariable for pages where this variable should be empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Willi, thank you for your reply.
Yes, I have implemented that option by hand already. I was wondering if there is a way to automate applying a parent (i.e. the one without the running header displayed) based on the content of the page (e.g. a paragraph style).
Manually applying a page style requires cutting the text flow, otherwise edits may shift the start-of-part header to another page (since the parent is linked to the page/spread number, and not to the content).

Thanks again, /Claudia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, when I wrote "applying a page style" I meant to say "applying a parent".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's a way to automate applying a different page based on a specified paragraph style. My suggestion would be to add a white rule above (or below) the paragraph style for "Part 1" and adjust it until it obscures the running header. It's a safer solution in that it's automatic (you don't have to change the parent page) and if the text reflows, then the running header will re-appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian, Thank you so much for this simple and workable solution. Yes, this will work and I will implement this. The element (e.g. properly filled rectangle) will hide the applied running header and indeed flow with the text. Nice!

(It made me shake my head thinking "why didn't I think of that?" - but of course that happens  and that's why we need each other).

Much appreciated! .🙏🙏🙏

/Claudia

/Claudia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick note: don't forget to anchor the element hiding the running header to the start-of-part title if you happen to use a rectangle (rather than a top rule as Brian proposed). HTH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to assign a parent page based on the use of a specific paragraph style is a feature in FrameMaker (Adobe's other page layout application). It's still a feature-request in InDesign. You can vote for it here:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/46699573-ap...

When I went to grab the link for you, I saw that a script is available for this task (the link there was broken so here is the new link: https://www.id-extras.com/products/mastermatic/). Please note that I haven't used it. You can download the trial to see if it works for you prior to purchasing.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply, Barb. I will check it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it make sense to do it as a range?

You could make 2 Running Heads

With First on Page and Last on Page

EugeneTyson_0-1717220450235.png

So it would look like this

EugeneTyson_1-1717220480674.png

I've put a sample file attached if you think this would be a good idea.

------

For the record

I don't think 'hiding text' behind white objects is a good idea.

A singluar slip makes it all not worth while. 

I'd be very much looking for an idea outside of this. 

I just don't like 'hiding' things on pages by covering them with white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Eugene, 

thank you very much for your ideas and detailed example. 

First of all, I agree with you. Hiding elements is a kludge at best and not elegant at all. It is easy to slip up. It might make sense in the moment, but goodness! if you have to go back after time passed to edit the next version of the book,  you might have forgotten all about it...

(Nevertheless, there is "good" and there is "good for now". I need to get this book out, and for today hiding most likely will have to do.)

Back to your example: I understand what you are suggesting, thank you. The issue I am facing is that the parts headers are on pages by themselves. So in that case the question becomes, how to I not show the running header that is linked to the H1 headers on those pages only.

Again, I appreciate your assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeh - I've always thought this is a BUG 

As the Text Variable says first on PAGE - not on SPREAD

EugeneTyson_1-1717232793648.png

Even when you separate the pages

EugeneTyson_0-1717232752757.png

And I even BROKE the text thread

Yet - it still picks up the text from the previous PAGE 

Even thought the variable says Last on PAGE not on SPREAD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene, 

I value your detailed exploration into this!

It looks like Adobe did not consider this specific use case.

I find it unfortunate that one might need to spend $ on a tool like MasterMatic (mentioned by Barb above) when already paying $$$ for the Adobe creative suite. Of course I'd like an elegant solution, but I only write about 1 book a year, so for now I remain with a more kludgy solution until Adobe incorporates a more useable (for me) capability.

Again, thanks for your assistance, Eugene.

/Claudia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the standard way people do it is by using different parent pages.

I understand this gets hard to work with as pages move on and are deleted or new content added.

ypu might also consider

http://in-tools.com/products/plugins/power-headers/#:~:text=Localized%20Formatting%3A%20Power%20Head....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same parent page and same header variable!

1.png

2.png

… You will need 1 click just playing again such a simplistic Grep Find/Replace!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene, thank you for your continued exploration.

I was unable to achieve what I think you were referring to in my test document. I included it below in case you wanted to take a look. In my case I wanted no running header to show on the pages that contain only the Part headers.

Thanks in advance for your help, /C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As written! …

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines