• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set default font + size for doc (script)

Participant ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I set (change) the default font + size in a script.

So... when I make a new textframe, the font + size will be standard the new one chosen.

Now standard is always: Minion Pro (12pt) , that is not what I want for my document.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

For doing it via script for a document use the following

app.activeDocument.textDefaults.appliedFont = "Arial"
app.activeDocument.textDefaults.pointSize = 15

For the whole application do the following so that every document henceforth sees this change

app.textDefaults.appliedFont = "Arial"
app.textDefaults.pointSize = 15

https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/index.html#TextDefault.html

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set up a new Paragraph (and Character) Style for paragraphs for the open document and apply it.

If you want to set the default font, size and leading for all new documents, set them with no document open then close and relauch InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For doing it via script for a document use the following

app.activeDocument.textDefaults.appliedFont = "Arial"
app.activeDocument.textDefaults.pointSize = 15

For the whole application do the following so that every document henceforth sees this change

app.textDefaults.appliedFont = "Arial"
app.textDefaults.pointSize = 15

https://www.indesignjs.de/extendscriptAPI/indesign-latest/index.html#TextDefault.html

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both method mentioned will only works if you use the "T" tool and type in the text.

It will not work if you use File> Place method, it's always Minion Pro (12pt) regardless if you set the default paragraph style or using script

I think this a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manan, Derek thanks,

After lot of search to solve font problem by myself first (and come not out) ... now solution in "five minutes" .. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-click on the Basic Paragraph style to access the Paragraph Style Options dialog panel. I can then click on the Basic Character Formats, and change the default font from Mininon Pro to Myriad Pro and I could also make any other changes I like such as the size.29 May 2013

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @antegrity,

I would advice against using the Basic Paragraph Style or editing it. See the following discussion on this topic

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/why-or-why-not-use-basic-paragraph-style/td-p/98...

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines