• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should InDesign be in RGB or CMYK setting?

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I edit InDesign document and I wonder should color settings be RGB or CMYK. I will need to use this work in digital and print both. I will make it specific CMYK in export but in working space should it be RGB or CMYK?

Thank you so much!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work in RGB color mode, do not convert to CMYK unless your printer specifically asks you to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jonathan32years , Unlike Photoshop and Illustrator, InDesign documents don’t have a color space, you can mix CMYK, Lab, and RGB colors and objects on the same page.

ID documents have both CMYK and RGB profile assignments that manage the previews of RGB and CMYK native colors or images with no profile embedded. There is a CMYK or RGB Transparency Blend Space that handles transparency flattening when different color spaces are blended together, but it only affects spreads that incude transparency.

When you export to PDF you can choose to leave the document colors unchanged, or make a conversion to a specified color profile, which you choose in the PDF output tab. So for a print document where you are sure of the final press profile, there would be the option to make a color managed conversion to that CMYK profile on Export—e.g. the PDF/X-4 preset with the Output Destination set. Interactive PDF exports automatically convert everything to sRGB

For screen viewing you would set the Output Destination to sRGB and all CMYK, Lab, and profiled RGB color would be converted to sRGB on the export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I didn't know that. I thought it was just like in Photoshop. 

I have PSD-file image where I use Adobe RGB (1998) color. And that color should be used in InDesign too, I tried to make some changes to Color Settings in InDesign but I don't know did that make anything really. 

I now made InDesign file for Web, some it maked it automatically RGB. And then I place there those Adobe RGB (1998) images. I will add some text, which color will be only black. I will add nothing else in InDesign, only black text. 

And when I have placed black text and those Adobe RGB (1998) images I should be able to export that to Adobe RGB (1998) for web use and also specific CMYK profile that I will get from print company?

I'm just nervous will colors go wrong when I apply different color profile...

This info is important but makes my head spin, so many things where I can mess up and do something wrong. Thank god this Support community exist and there are people like you do tell people like me some hard facts 😄 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean "I've made an InDesign file for web"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek Cross, I meant that when I created an InDesign document, I clicked area where it said "Web". Other options were "Recent", "Saved", "Print", "Web" and "Mobile". It was in the beginning when I first created a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is your final output format?

If it's for printing select Print as the intent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your placed images have the AdobeRGB profile embedded, the embedded profile will override the InDesign document’s profile.

InDesign’s Color Management cascades. If an image has an embedded profile (see the Links Info panel), the image‘s profile is used—for the image it doesn’t matter what the ID document profile assignment is. If the image has no profile (Link Info shows Document RGB), the InDesign document assignment is used as the image profile. If there is no embedded profile with the image, and there is no document profile assignment, the final fallback is to the Color Settings Working Space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RBG apply to print also.

digital printing is rbg

offset printing is CYMK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But which CMYK, that's the thing Jonathan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines