• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple thing # sign icon

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a simple thing, but what is this number sign at the beginning of my INDD document?

It also appears at the start of every page, and at the end of the document?
Thanks, Newbie

Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 10.10.31 AM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

In every empty text frame you will see the # when Show Hidden Characters is on. When you add text, this # will move to the end, it means: there is no more text after this. It is kind of the opposite of the red + overset symbol 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Not here. Here are 2 text frames on the same place.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an empty text frame. Modst probably from the master/parent page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So even though I have text on a page, a number sign appears at the top of that page, from a parent page, because the parent page has an empty text frame box associated with it? Picture below from the top of a page:Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 10.39.08 AM.png

And then I get a double #, start and end of a page, if it's the last page? 

Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 10.40.34 AM.png

So just ignored it I suppose. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviousely you have overlapping text frames. It is a no-go as subsequent paragtaph returns are not allowed to create space between paragraphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I deleted the text frame box from the parent page. The # is gone now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In every empty text frame you will see the # when Show Hidden Characters is on. When you add text, this # will move to the end, it means: there is no more text after this. It is kind of the opposite of the red + overset symbol 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not here. Here are 2 text frames on the same place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Willi. You are right. Is this a problem? I have 2 text frame boxes on every page. I know why. When I created the New Document I checked PRIMARY TEXT FRAME. Then I placed the book in with SHIFT CLICK, SHIFT CLICK created a text frame on a text frame.

Is this a problem? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might me a problem - if you start mixing them - either you use Primary TFs or not. 

Right now - you have them activated - but not used? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All frames with no use can cause problems in the future. I typeset a lot of Christian books. I work with primary text frames in books and use 100% Object, Paragraph and Character Styles to avoid accidentically get problems into the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Willi. When you create a new document for a book in InDesign, do you check off PRIMARY TEXT FRAME?

If YES, then how do you get the 200 pages into the document? You can't use SHIFT+CLICK otherwise you get double text frames. 

Thanks, Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You OR use a Primary text frame, OR you use Shift+Click, otherwise you are left with, indeed, double text frames.

I personally use Primary text frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frans. If you use Primary Text Frame, how do you get, or can you get, a 200 page novel into the INDD?

Thanks, Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frans. If you use Primary Text Frame, how do you get, or can you get, a 200 page novel into the INDD?

Thanks, Andy

By @Andrew Mikelsons

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/using/threading-text.html

Flow text manually or automatically

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Primary Text Frame, how do you get, or can you get, a 200 page novel into the INDD?

Hi Andy, It is a bit difficult and not intuitive—if you click on the out port of a Primary text Frame, and shift click on the next page the flow is into new non primary text frames, which is what you are experiencing.

If you want the text to auto flow into threaded Primary Text Frames, make sure your page has both Allow Document Pages to Shuffle and Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle checked. And set your  Text>Smart Text Reflow Preference to checked, with Add Pages to End of Story, and Limit to Primary text Frames checked

Screen Shot 11.png

Paste or Placed your long text in the first Primary Text Frame and it should auto flow into threaded Primary Text Frames like this:

Screen Shot 13.png

Primary Text Frames have this icon with an arrow when they are selected:

Screen Shot 14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rob. I think I've got it. 

File>>New Document>>Check Primary Text Frame; Check Facing Pages; create a New Document with 1 page. Make sure it's set up like below:

Screen Shot 2024-01-20 at 7.12.23 AM.png

Load the cursor with the Place feature. Click on Page 1 and the 200 page document loads, threaded. Do not SHIFT CLICK as this will double up the Text Frames. 

Thanks Rob, Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you don‘t use Primary Text frames the textframes are no longer controlled by a parent page and you lose the option to make global changes to the frames from the Parent page. This might help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/can-someone-help-demystify-how-primary-text-fram...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As pointed out by @Willi Adelberger:

RobertTkaczyk_0-1705592690336.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is called the End-of-Story marker, a whitespace character. It is the first thing you see in an empty textframe. It is not backspace deletable. I keep a published list of illustrated definitions of ALL InDesign symbols on my website.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the address of your website?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trainingonsite.com

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines