• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Skip page numbering on first few pages

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a multi-page booklet in InDesign CC2014 and I want to start the page numbering on what is basically page 6, skipping numbering the cover and the next four pages after, but I can't see any way to do it. I've been playing with the numbering and section options, but nothing seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

All of the pages in your document have to have a number assigned to them, but you don't need to show that number on the page.

As Willi says, create a new section where you want your page numbering to start at 1 (this is called section numbering, or the "logical" page number). ID will complain when you exit the dialog that you already have a page with that number, so it's also a good idea to change the numbering style for the pages before. Front matter is traditionally numbered with small Roman nu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click on the page icon in the Page Panel where you want to restart the new numbering, in the Page Panel Menu > Numbering & Section Options… select to start numbering at 1 (and start a new section).

Section.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is exactly the answer I was lookng for! Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the pages in your document have to have a number assigned to them, but you don't need to show that number on the page.

As Willi says, create a new section where you want your page numbering to start at 1 (this is called section numbering, or the "logical" page number). ID will complain when you exit the dialog that you already have a page with that number, so it's also a good idea to change the numbering style for the pages before. Front matter is traditionally numbered with small Roman numerals (i, ii, iii...), and I usually use A, B, C... for cover and inside cover, with no page number markers on pages that should be unnumbered in the final doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. That helped, but now ID has taken my new page 1 (previously page 6) and changed it from a spread (page 6 on the left, page 7 on the right) to a single page, throwing off the formatting. How do I keep the spread with page 1 starting on the left?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit weird to have page one verso.

Anyway, to do it: before changing the page numbering as above, select the spread in the pages panel, right click, and

deselect the option "Allow selected spread to shuffle". Now you can change the page numbering...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that worked!

Yes, I know what you are saying about starting with page on the verso page. I've been trying to explain that my my client but it's falling on deaf ears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have them open any six books at random and look at the page numbering....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This SAVED ME! Thank you so much for taking the time to help us troubleshoot this issue, we GREATLY appreciate you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having difficulty with this as well. I had no trouble with steps 1 and 2 starting a new numbering section at the start of the body text with number 1 and changing the front matter to i, ii etc. 

But the thing is, I don't want any numbers to show in the front matter. I mostly produce novels and children's books. I can't understand why there isn't just a simple option in the dialogue box to leave numbers blank in a section. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I solved this, for me anyway. 

Like so many things, the solution is obvious when you realise it, but would it kill the experts to have given this answer?

I simply create the A-Parent (previously known as A Master) and copy that to a B-Parent. 

One, usually A, has the numbering included and the other, B, has it omitted. 

Then I assign all my front and back matter to B-Parent, and the body pages to A-Master. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which NOW, on rereading the correct asnwer, I can see that's what it says and I feel like an idiot for not spotting that before. 

And I can't see how to delete the comment. Arrgh. LOL 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't lose any sleep over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the evolution of thought here. Good work, all of you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's absolutely bonkers that this questioned has been answered dozens of times over many years. Each explanation a little different than the last. There should simply be an ad-style box that says the following "Begin my page numbering at page __, the first sequential number shall be ___." I drive by an Adobe campus once and a while and I see the fooseball tables or whatever through the massive glass, in the $100M building. No more fooseball until every Adobe product is intuitive and simple. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines