Exit

Small capitals vanish with change of font size

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I hope someone can help me with my serious problem arising today:

I have to layout scientific papers, in which some names have to be in small capitals. Till today (> 10 years) there had be no problems with it, but today I'm working on an article, where small capitals change into versalia, as soon as I correct font size.

Usually I use paragraph formats, but because of the problem I tried to format the passage by hand. I find small capitals (in the original doc) still after change from Times New Roman to Minon Pro, but no more after changing their size. And unfortunately they have to be in 9 pt, not in changing sizes InDesign offers.

Does anybody know how I can prevent typing all of the names (list of appr. 100) by hand?

Thanks

Birgit

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using InDesign Paragraph (and Character) Styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Usually yes. But because they produced mistakes, in this article I changed fonts and size one by one by hand.

Because I'm in a hurry I now used the command to delete any variations (in German software: Abweichungen löschen) and set the relevant parts into small caps by hand, too. Now everything's fine, despite I still have to do several changes (italics, bold, ...) by hand, too. Nasty problem!

I'm not sure if it had been due to the chinese origin (neutrally seen). I tried another doc and this is fine.

Best

Birgit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BirgitBirgit:

I'm still trying to understand the situation. If I got this wrong, of course, please correct me. This would be my approach:

• Assign a paragraph style to set the paragraph properties
  • Assign a character style to change just the selected words to small caps.

Can you show us what specifically isn't working?

~Barb

2023-02-28_07-38-47 (1).gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I did it the way you showed. But it's a nasty work, esp. if the text was prepared with small caps. And they appeared in InDesign, but only in 11 pt. Changes to 9 pt led to versalia instead of the original small caps.

Birgit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BirgitBirgit:

I don't know the word Versalia as it pertains to layout—and google isn't helping. But it sounds like you are up against overrides. Save your work first in case this doesn't work out for you—then click in the story, select all and click the Clear Overrides in Selection button at the bottom of the Paragraph styles panel: ¶*. Now try again... are things working as expected? If not, just choose File > Revert to return to the last saved version and let us know.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Barb.

VERSALIA are like this, whereas small caps are in big letters, but all but the first a bit smaller (you seem to know small caps, sorry).

I'm not sure, what you mean with your description and my InDesign looks different to yours though it's a current version (18.1 x64), but I guess I did something like that.

My current problem is solved, because I adopted the character styles by hand. But I'm bothered if it may return; there are so many characters to change ...

I'm layouting since > 10 years with InDesign, but am not able to produce such a nice video like you. Otherwise I would have shown it here.

Again thanks.

Birgit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines