Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Some major Issues with CC 2022 on Apple Mac Mini M1 processor

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

we are struggling here with some strange problems with the new Apple Mac Minis with M1 processor. For example, we have problems with Ai files linked in InDesign. If the InDesign document is edited, the modification date of the linked AIs changes, which leads to a warning in the ID that links need to be updated. However, the AIs were not touched at all and this behaviour is not to be expected. We have also had this with linked PDF files but it has been less frequent. However, the files were not really changed. I have compared the files with their checksum in a few samples and so far they have always been identical. Thank God...

We use Adobe CC 2022 on macOS Big Sur and Monterey, both on older Intel CPUs and on new M1 processors. However, we only have this problem on the new Macs with M1 CPUs. The data is stored on a Windows file server that has an AFP implementation with Acronis Files Connect installed. The data is transported over the network with AFP.

We have another problem with locked files on the volume that can only be deleted by the user after logging off the network volume once, but this concerns Illustrator. I would like to mention this here just for the completeness of it. This problem also only affects Macs with M1 CPUs.

Thx & Bye Tom

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Hi Community,

we have been able to solve the problem by changing the communication protocol from AFP to SMB. We are currently in an extended test period and have so far only been able to identify minor, cosmetic problems. For example, Windows users now see Mac shares and vice versa. Or the search on large volumes takes longer, but this is not dramatic for us because our workflow is not dependent on a capability to search large volumes. Cautious optimism is spreading...

Thx & Bye Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search the forum for M1. You won't find much to fix your issues but, as the old saying goes, misery loves company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search the forum for M1. You won't find much to fix your issues but, as the old saying goes, misery loves company.

I had already looked there but there was nothing matching...

Bye Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

cannot help with your issue because I'm on Windows 10.

For others who are reading this and are fluent in German also see this thread at hilfdirselbst:

Windows SMB Share vs. AFP Share
pronto, 31. Jan 2022, 15:49

https://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=582478#582478

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

we have been able to solve the problem by changing the communication protocol from AFP to SMB. We are currently in an extended test period and have so far only been able to identify minor, cosmetic problems. For example, Windows users now see Mac shares and vice versa. Or the search on large volumes takes longer, but this is not dramatic for us because our workflow is not dependent on a capability to search large volumes. Cautious optimism is spreading...

Thx & Bye Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue with two computers using the M1 chip. I just purchased the Mac Studio M1 Max and started noticing the modified icon for specific placed logos. Not all placed graphics indicate modified. I looked into our server protocol and we've had problems using SMB to connect because files and folders would be showing up missing. The only way we can see our files and work much faster is using the AFP. Our work environment is 90% Apple computers, but our IT company has us using a Windows server which has been a big problem.

I definitely contributed this problem to the M1 because before setting up the Mac Studio, I was using the iMac Pro and never had issues until now. I also use at home the iMac 24" M1 and now have noticed when connecting to our work server, it is doing the same thing.

I don't know if an update to Adobe CC would fix this issue or not. I sure hope there's a solution soon because it is very annoying.

Darren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Update to CC subscription? What else do you use? 
  2. How did you install your apps? Transfer from another computer/backup or installing from the original installer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currenttly on the latest version of the CC subscription, 17.3. I use Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Premiere but one thing I have noticed when this happens is that only the .AI files that were imported into InDesign randomly show modified. Not all of them but sometimes there could be 5 modified, then after updating I will place another Illustrator file and then more than 5 could be the same images or different ones show modified.

After getting the Mac Studio up and running and my profile migrated over, I then uninstalled the CC completely as well as preferences. Then reinstalled all of them so that it uses the right version for M1 Silicon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the AI files located? Locally or on a server? How or with what are you connected to the server? SMB, AFP, something else? Does this happen even if you have all data stored locally on your Mac?

Bye Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All files are stored on a server. We have a Windows QNAP server connected with AFP. I have had to swtich from SMB to AFP because with SMB we have file folders not showing up or files that were in folders missing. The fix to that is to connect via AFP.

I have tried files stored locally and it doesn't happen. I even kept the InDesign file stored locally and import the logos from the server and it didn't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Servus Darren,

we also had this problem with AFP (Acronis Files Connect on a Windows Server 2019) and could only solve it by switching to SMB. We failed to resolve this issue with AFP. Had spent quite a few weeks with Acronis support, rather it was more of a monologue as they didn't really not care about the problem. Very frustrating. Apple and Adobe didn't contribute anything helpful either. We ended up being happy that we had a solution at all. Maybe you can solve your other problems you had with SMB more easily. Good luck...

Bye Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the problem:

You have migrated your files and applications. Adobe Apps cannot be migrated:

1. It will never work, as Adobe hides several important files from migrating to make ilegal copies impossible.
  2. M1 has a different processor than previous previous macs. It requires different programming. Therefore M1 cannot use those versions. It needs specific versions.

Only installing via CC Desktop application is possible to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed which that's what I ended up doing. I realized after migrating my files over that I needed to remove all Adobe files by uninstalling them, then I reinstalled them which dedected that I was using the M1 which it reinstalled all files so you are correct. But after doing so, it's still not working.

After doing the test by saving files locally it doesn't happen, only when connected to the server with AFP.

Thank you for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Darren,

which files and which folders do you not see when you connect to your NAS with SMB? I would really focus on the problem. AFP is no longer being developed by Apple and uses SMB natively itself. If Adobe or Apple hasn't released a patch to fix the problem in the last two months, then you won't be able to fix the problem with AFP. It doesn't look like there is a patch at the moment and in one of the next macOS versions AFP will probably be removed from the OS anyway.

Create a test volume, connect to it with SMB, see if it works and solve the problems you have with SMB on the other volume. I didn't want to believe it either and spent weeks digging around with this issue. And really dug very deep.

HTH & Bye Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your insight and experience with this problem. To answer your question about what files are missing, etc. It is very randbom and it could be individual files saved within a folder or folders missing from the directory. These folders are our client folders. We have the server broken up into partitons (volumes) and we've experienced these missing folders/files on the different volumes. Our IT company is aware of this but they don't have a solution to resolve this problem.

Good to know about AFP possibly not being used any longer. It's a bummer because SMB is so much slower and unreliable. What is quite interesting, I never had this issue until using the computers with M1. I'm the only one in my creative team that has a computer with the M1 chip so they aren't experiencing this issue.

It doesn't look like I can address this issue to either Apple or Adobe because they will be pointing the finger to each other saying it's their problem when I personally feel it's both.

I will suggest your recommendation to our IT team and see if they can create a test volume and see if this will resolve the issue.

Darren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines