• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sometimes InDesign does not package the fonts in the document folder. Why not?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work remotely as a book designer, and have to upload my packaged files to be sent on the the printer. InDesign does not always add the fonts to the package folder, which means the file has to be repackaged at the main office and sent on.

This happens with no apparent pattern. Just today, I packaged the main document and cover for a book separately. The (activated from Adobe) fonts were included in the book package, but not in the book cover package.

What can i do to ensure the fonts are added to the packaged files consistently?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

@kateh630603 Does it show as an activated and protected font? If the only font in your document is an Adobe font activated through your subscription, maybe it won't generate a Document fonts folder to begin with. Here, you can see I have 12 fonts used in this book but the 9 protected fonts (all versions of Adobe Jenson Pro) don't show up in the package's Document fonts folder. I also note the protected fonts aren't listed in the AdobeFnt22.lst file either. Interesting. I didn't realize this so i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe fonts are never packaged. This is by design. The recipient of the packaged files is expected to have a CC subscription.

Files sent for print, IMO, should always be done as PDF to avoid any kind of issue such as this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

We do of course send PDFs to the printer.

I think I actually asked the wrong question, slightly. 

Some package folders include a "Document fonts" file, with a link to the Adobe fonts list, and any other fonts (like TrueType or whatever) that are lurking (often non-printing) in the document. But other package folders don't include any Fonts folder, which my boss finds odd, as when she packages jobs, there is always a Document Fonts folder included. We have been wondering why her packages always have font list, and mine don't always. We are running the same version of ID. She likes to have a complete package archived for when the client returns for a second edition, perhaps.

We also had an issue rercently when a (non-Adobe) font that was installed for a job was not listed in the font list. Are we expecting ID to do something it does not, or that it stopped doing at some point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must select that when packaging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your further reply. Select it by ticking "Copy fonts ..."? That is ticked by default and I have just packaged a document (same one as the question was asked about) and there is no Fonts folder in the package folder. The particular document only uses one font family, activated from Adobe Fonts, but shouldn't it have a font list link that points to that font? 

Or am I still not understanding the point of the "Document Fonts" folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@kateh630603 Does it show as an activated and protected font? If the only font in your document is an Adobe font activated through your subscription, maybe it won't generate a Document fonts folder to begin with. Here, you can see I have 12 fonts used in this book but the 9 protected fonts (all versions of Adobe Jenson Pro) don't show up in the package's Document fonts folder. I also note the protected fonts aren't listed in the AdobeFnt22.lst file either. Interesting. I didn't realize this so it is good to know!

Sample-90.jpgSample-91.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines