Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacing at top of text box

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 4.00.43 PM.png

There is a default spacing between the top of the text box (blue line) and the start of the text. How do I set my preferences so the top of the first line of text touches the blue line? This is super maddening when try to center text vertically. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Select the type frame. Choose Object > Text Frame Options > Baseline Options.

It could be a difference in the First Baseline Offset. Try Ascent or Cap Height:

InDesign CC009.png

InDesign CC010.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the type frame. Choose Object > Text Frame Options > Baseline Options.

It could be a difference in the First Baseline Offset. Try Ascent or Cap Height:

InDesign CC009.png

InDesign CC010.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ascent didn't work. But Cap Height did! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: Depending on the used font you can have problems with Ascent and/or Cap Height if you want to have an exact alignment with the top edge of the text frame:

ASCENT-vs-CAP_HEIGHT.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

I use the regular AlbertaExtralight type, and in some boxes the text does not line up to the top of the project's default text box in indesign, even though I change it to: TextBox Options> Baseline Options for Leading or Ascending.

Note: My vertical alignment is enabled for "Align to top".

What can I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot resolve this. I'm using the same font but in different weights, I cannot get the words to align to bottom or top. I've tried Cap Height, Leading, Ascent. The tiny gap doesn't go. Screenshot attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you checked for active baseline grid? Also watch out for different metrics from bullet fonts (not your case, but had that myself), or other ways to use multiple fonts within the line (grep styles etc.). Does the selection outline appear consistent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines