Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spacing problems in justified text

Engaged ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 2022 on a Mac.

I am working for the first time on a very long nonfiction book that is laid out with 10/12 type and 4" wide columns of justified text.

I am familiar with the tool for highlighting hyphenation and justification errors on the full page.

But even so, everyone in a while my eye falls on a single word like the "are" in this image and I want to scream:

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 7.34.23 AM.png

Do readers notice just things? Do you go through and fix individual words in a 340 page document? If so, how?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Hi @MarieMeyer , did you select the line and double-check that there’s no custom kerning or tracking applied:

Screen Shot 36.pngScreen Shot 37.png

Also turn on Hidden Characters and make sure there’s no white space character inserted between the a and r—like a thin space:

Screen Shot 35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MarieMeyer , did you select the line and double-check that there’s no custom kerning or tracking applied:

Screen Shot 36.pngScreen Shot 37.png

Also turn on Hidden Characters and make sure there’s no white space character inserted between the a and r—like a thin space:

Screen Shot 35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you don't mind me saying so, you may also want to proof the text. "To" is a perfectly good word that spellchecking would pass by every time, but I think you want to say items "are too expensive."

Meaning no disrespect,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines