We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.
Hi all, i need to figure out how can I solve the problem of special characters in name and surname of a business card qr code generated with Insedign.
When I text in the QR Code for business card frame the special characters: à è é they're not correctly displayed on iphone (see the attached file) -> Lurà is displayed with differen signs.
Please let me know if there's something I can do to fix this.
This appears to be a bug in InDesign's QR Code mechanism. I was able to replicate this fault by using InDesign's Edit QR Code feature to create a business card with diacritical letters and experienced the same outcome as the original poster when attempting to view the result with the camera function of the iphone.
Similarly, if making a QR Code using data merge using letters with diacritical characters, the same errors occur.
I suggest filing this as a bug with indesign.uservoice.com
I'm working currently on the same issue, my two cents:
Creating a vCard from scratch (meaning the actual text-code of a vCard QR code // see adobe's help pages on data merge and QR codes) and changing the syntax from vCard v2.1 to 3.0 fixes the issue on iPhones. I noticed that v3 works better on iPhones while Android has no issues with either one.
if you have special characters like with czech names and create QR codes on the fly via data merge – you're screwed. There is definitely a bug with the QR code generation via data merge. There are various bug reports on uservoice but...
If you copy&paste the exact same vCard code into the "Generate QR code" textbox it creates a different QR code which is working fine.
You could script that, to get it working with data merge but that's a whole other topic
You can use QR CodeMakerPro in CC Market Place.
I added the plug in but still, I don't know how to add special characters correctly. I also tried in illustrator with the xml code on QR CodeMaker but still, I don't know how to add à, é, è etc. I think i should add something like "encoding" but I'm not an xml expert.. ps. version 3.0 don't change anything.
ORG:Name of the company
You can copy and paste like below.
I already did that but the "à" is a different sign when you scan the code with the iphone. So I guess I should add some action to the code.
Please retry another decoder application. iPhone's decoder is buggy and can't deocde some characters correctly.
it is true that other QR code decoder apps might be better in an iPhone... but the iPhone ships with a QR reader inbuilt with the camera that is convenient. It's also a case of when the QR code is in "the wild" and a user scans it, you can't force a user to use a different decoder at that point - they will use whichever QR code reader they want to use, and if they are using the iPhone one which works on other products with the exception of InDesign generated QR codes, then the QR code will be faulty.
The issue is than my client wants to have for all of his employees a business card with a qr code and he doesn't want to "warn" the future people network to use a specific decoder app since the majority used to scan all qr code with iphone camera. I really don't understand why all the free online app can create a QR code with special characters and I can't handle it on InDesign or Illustrator. I guess it's better for me to use an online app for the names than required special characters instead of using InDesign and insert the online generated qr code in it (luckly I don't have so many names with special character) but I hope this bug will be fixed soon.
I see it is already filed as a bug report... but needs more traction. To vote to get the attention of the Adobe Engineers to look at this fault, vote here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/33286600-qr...