Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spell Check does not work after installing InDesign 15.0.2

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: InDesign CC 2019

Spell check is not working. I have read numerous forum posts and this appears to have been an issue for many for years. I don't know what else to check. I do think a picture is worth a thousand words … or in this case a single "word"

As you can see below, "word" is an unknown word with no suggestions.

Screenshot 2019-02-01 16.49.19.png

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

hi srishtib8795206 and Mike Witherell​,

Thank you both for responding, after I posted my question, I kept digging for the answer and finally discovered that when I updated to CC 2019, the PREFERENCES–DICTIONARY–SPELLING drop-down was somehow set on USER DICTIONARY ONLY. Not sure how that happened but changing it to HUNSPELL of course resolved my issue.

I appreciate you stepping in to help.

Best,

V

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Hi All,

Sorry about the trouble this issue has caused. We've fixed this in the latest release. Please update your InDesign to v15.0.3 to get this fixed.

Here's a link with more details: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180/suggestions/39843622

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 103 Replies 103
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I may want to rethink my auto-update option! 😉

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OR you can change dictionary to Hunspell (with caution)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are looking into this issue. It is a known bug with 15.0.2 release of InDesign. 

you can vote for this issue at: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39843622-spell-check-no...

By voting, you will also get updates on the progress we make on this bug 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks, hope to hear that it is soved soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Hope this is addressed VERY soon. The link you've provided mentions imported text and the Italian dictionary, but the issue seems to be across the board with spellcheck not functioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here issue here. Same as previous, RE working with slightly older indd files. Unable to initiate a check and dynamic option doesn't recognize any errors. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy crap! This is precisely the Issue I've got in my studio. I this very day caught s**t ... some ... um... spirited criticism from a client for poor spell checking - and clients have NO interest in hearing about softtware that costs $636/yr to use being busted! Having to rebuild any document more than a frakking MONTH old from scratch in a new doc to enable spellcheck is a howling time waster. UNACCEPTABLE.

When I retire, I very much suspect I will be SO done with Adobe... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we're going to pay you every month we expect your software to work every month. No excuses. Will you be sending us a partial refund for your partially working software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great idea! 

Let's see, there are about 20 programs in the Cloud subscription including the font service (I rounded up to make the math similer). So at $50, that comes to about $2.50 per program. (Evenly divided--after allAdobe can't play favorites with any of its childern.) That's probably one of 100-odd featues in InDesign, so that comes to 2.5 cents for this feature. (Again, can't play favorites with features either.) I hope the check is in the mail--it will probably get there quicker than the IRS COVID check. 

(This was all in stir-crazy fun...)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you're right for making fun of me ... and doing it so well. I'm just crabby right now. I think this is the first problem I've ever had with Adobe software.  Ever.  It's amazing stuff that allows us to do things we never imagined possible 30 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have to basically drag all the content page by page or spread by spread to a new InDesign Document. Like we had to do to remove items from corrupted file in the good old days. I hope they get this fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to indesign 15.0.2 and when trying to spell check a docuement created in an older version it doesnt pick up anything. It works in a new document, but not the files created previously. ANy ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was just acknowledged as a bug in 15.0.2.

Take a minute to follow this link and vote up the bug: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-cc-spell-check-not-working/td-p/10965448. By voting, you will also get updates on the progress Adobe makes on this bug.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this issue. I understand it's frustrating. This issue is currently under investigation. Till the time it is fixed, please upvote this issue here (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39843622-spell-check-no...) and try the workaround shared on this link. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 15.0.2 and my autocorrect and dynamic spelling quit working. I've checked and rechecked all the settings in Preferences, and they're as they should be. 

Any ideas???

{Renamed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay. This issue is currently under investigation. Till the time it is fixed, please upvote this issue here (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39843622-spell-check-no...) and try the workaround shared on this link. 

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'check spelling' not working in ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a language assigned to your text? If so, try quiting InDesign and reopening it. (I have had spell check fail to check anything once in a while, and this has always fixed it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a 15.0.2 known bug. See amaarora answer in this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-cc-spell-check-not-working/m-p/10965448?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder what you mean by this question 😉

Can't you find Check Spelling (you can find it here: Edit > Spelling > Check Spelling)? Then make sure you search the entire Document (or Story). And, like @SJRiegel writes: make sure the right language is assigned to your text. 

You can also try to activate Dynamic Spelling (Edit > Spelling > Dynamic Spelling). Make sure you're not in Preview mode.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, the latest update of InDesign has somehow disabled spellcheck. I tried all the usual. I restarted InDesign, restarted Mac and then I had others try the spellcheck. I had to switch back to the old version. Thankfully that wasn't a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug with version 15.0.2. You can add your voice to push for a solution here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39843622-spell-check-no...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Indesign spellcheck has suddenly stopped working. A panel comes up but it just says 'Done' and if you click start goes straight to 'Complete'. All updates done and all was fine until a couple of days ago. Done restarts etc. Can anyone help please. I need to spellcheck documents. ThanksScreen Shot 2020-03-06 at 14.50.43.png

{Renamed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is normal for documents that have no suspect words. If you don't think that this is the case then try trashing your InDesign preferences. Hopefully, setting the program back to its defaults will fix the problem.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

For Windows Users: You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

To do so: On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

EDIT: Before following the above suggestion check in the Spelling section of your InDesign preferences that "Mispelled Words" is checked as shown in the screen shot. If it isn't try checking it and see if that fixes the problem. Do this with no documents open and then quitting the program. When you relaunch it will be the default for the program.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 10.04.08 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill. That will work, but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice ALL my preferences. Thanks for your help though, at least I now have options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines