Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

spell checker

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.
I have a problem with spell checking in Indesing. The issue is that it does not correct words that are wrongly accented, for example, in Spanish, the word "como" when it should have an accent or the word "mas" when it should have an accent.
Let me explain:
The sentence (always in Spanish): ¿como te va la vida? should be written like this: ¿cómo te va la vida? and when I run the spell checker it does not detect the word "como", since it should have an accent. However, if I write ¿como te va la bida? it does detect the word "bida" as a spelling mistake, but it does not detect the word "como". I have all the correction options activated and the language of the paragraph style is Spanish. It also happens the same with the words "está" "ésta" "and with words in singular that should be in plural and vice versa, for example in the sentence "los campo de trigo" should be "los campos de trigo" and it does not detect it as an error.
If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful.
Happy New Year to all

Fernando Hernández Rodríguez

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting issue. I can duplicate the problem here. I know of no way to edit the language dictionaries within InDesign, only how to add to them within the application's user dictionary. Which would allow to spellcheck for the correct diacriticals/plurals in addition to the incorrect ones in the language dictionary.

Computers, of course, don't know how to spell anything. They're stupid, but eminently logical machines. It's a matter of comparing the text in your InDesign document to a list of "approved, correct" words in the language dictionary, but that fails you when it fails to recognize incorrect words. I would assume that is because the dictionary doesn't use extended ASCII characters to define the correct spelling of your words in Spanish, but that's only my assumption. And you know what they say about the word assume ...

I have submitted a bug report referring to this forum post. Hopefully we'll hear back and I can share whatever we find to help you past your issue.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for answering Randy.
What you say about ASCII makes sense, but in the previous version (2021) it didn't happen to me. I reinstalled Indesing from Creative Cloud and it still doesn't work.
I really appreciate you sending a report on this issue as I've been thinking about it for days and I've tried everything I've found on the web without finding the problem.
Best regards and, once again, thank you.

Happy New Year

Fernando

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is the link to report bugs:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines