• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Splitting a paragraph across columns

Engaged ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.InDesign 16.4 on Win10 (but I don't think that matters here).

I'm working on a multicolumn layout with spanning heads. Tabs is one of those heads and Guidelines another. Each spans 2 cols. The Guidelines head falls after the bulleted paragraphs in the text stream and everything works -- more or less -- as I would expect.

split_columns.png

In order go give myself more room for Guidelines copy, I want to break the big bulleted paragraph in such a way that it evens the two columns out (again, more or less, it doesn't have to be exact) and the Guidelines head would then move up... JUST that little bit.

I have been playing aroound in the Paragraph | Keep dialog, but haven't hit on the right settings. I've tried soft and hard carriage returns in the big bulleted paragraph, and neither of those had the desired effect.

Again, I don't want to MOVE the big bulleted paragraph to the upper right -- that's easy. I want to split it so that the columns are more-or-less even. I can achieve this with anchored frame and text wrap... but that makes the eventual TOC much more difficult.

Suggestoins? Thanks to the community as always.

-j

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Hi @Nedlaw:

If you have been playing with this for a while, there's no telling which paragraphs are now causing the problem. I would select all of the body text and then disable everything in Keep Options, as shown below.

keeps.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change your Keep Options for that paragraph. It appears you have "Keep All Lines Together" applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nedlaw:

If you have been playing with this for a while, there's no telling which paragraphs are now causing the problem. I would select all of the body text and then disable everything in Keep Options, as shown below.

keeps.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it!!

One of the paragraphs was set to start in next column -- not the big paragraph. Setting that to Anywhere allowed the columns to balance. Ta-DA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great news, and happy Friday! 😊

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines