• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spread cannot have more than 10 pages - what does this mean?

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, often when synchronising (book) files or even (right now) when writing text on a page which does not affect the rest of the document in terms of space, a window pops up stating "Spread cannot have more than 10 pages". Why? How do I solve this? Also, I noticed that when adding a page to a file (which I just did because of this message, after which the file synched at last), the new page/s go to the right of the last spread in the pages panel. Why? Boo hoo! I would much appreciate any help. 

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Sync and storage , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spreads a several pages, side by side. Normaly they are 2.

In the page panel menu allow pages to shuffle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has been there at least 10 years and I have seen it pop up easily 100 times.. . Like so many other parts of Adobe they simply don't fix bugs, they just move on to creating more. Even worse, even though you turn off the shuffle option, ID will reinstate it on its own whim. A great program, but we have to live with Adobe's disinterest in getting things right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure this (the OP's issue) is a bug. If you move pages around in the Pages pane and do so in a way that creates multi-page spreads, you'll eventually run into this limit.

That is, it seems to be caused more by inexpert/inept movement of the pages in Pages than by any glitch in ID—with the drags forming spreads, not rearranging the pages in spreads.

If it's occurring when no multi-page spreads are being created, that's different... but it's not how I read the OP's question.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @drasahershoff , As James notes, it’s not a bug but a built-in limit on the number of pages that can be included in a spread:

Screen Shot 19.pngScreen Shot 20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Utter nonesense. This bug shows up regularly in dozens of my documents, books, etc. Who would intentionally ask for a ten page spread? But I guess the bug doesnt exist if you say so. There are dozens of other permanent InDesign bugs that I guess are "features" also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's limit to the amount of spreads you can have - the limit is 10.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as a 'bug'

If you have an idea to fix a 'bug' or add a 'feature' you can request here

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who would intentionally ask for a ten page spread?

No one, that’s why the limit isn’t a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny enough I needed a 12-page spread before - had to make do with one large wide sheet and split manually. 

Anyway - be nice if there was no limit - but I guess there's a reason for it somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny enough I needed a 12-page spread before

A 12 page gatefold?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I remember it was a stepped accordion - it was a long time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a document doesn’t have a spine and isn’t going to be imposed, do you need pages? Couldn’t it be setup as a single page with fold marks for the panels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeh - that's what I said originally. I set it up as a single page.

Just doing spreads puts fold mark position on export to pdf - so you can have multiple pages as spreads of different page sizes, which made it an attractive solution for a stepped accordion fold. 

But you know what they say - always more than one way to do things.

I realised it wasn't an option and went 'the old fashioned way' and setup as a single page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've obviously not had the call to create multi-fold documents that require more than 10 pages.

I'm currently working on a deck of cards and it would be really useful to have this limitation removed in order to view suits in one complete row.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Illustrator, it doesn’t have an artboard limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a stupid arbitrary limitation. Why not 8, 12 or 25? Or just, you know, remove it completely, in case someone does, say, a concertina fold with 20 panels — not unheard of in the world of print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make sure that when adding additional pages, select the parent page that is set to a single page instead of a spread. It can just be a single page with nothing in it. Then after you can just apply any of your set spread templates. Hope this helps 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mike Estrada,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the suggestion. I am sure it will help other community members. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The limit is 10 pages per spread-- doesn't matter whether facing pages is checked or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

there once was a method to overcome the 10-pages-per-spread limit by scripting. This method is not working anymore.

But be warned: Extending a spread beyond the limit is extremely risky. If you export to IDML and open the IDML file as document that spread with more than 10 pages will be torn apart and the objects on the pages likely will be positioned in a chaotic way.

Nevertheless, I attached an InDesign document with 16 pages on the first spread.

You will be able to remove pages from that spread, but you cannot add pages. And you cannot duplicate the spread.

Work with that document at your own risk!

Important notes:

Duplicating the spread is not possible with InDesign 2023, not by using the GUI, not by using a script that tries that with spread.duplicate(). Export to IDML cannot mainatin the spread with the 16 pages.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get to the point of the 16 page spread? That's what I need, but I need a second spread that the same and I'd love to know how you got to the point you did to see if I can find a way to get a second spread the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Glove4Help ,

as I already wrote, that's not possible anymore by scripting. It was never possible with the GUI.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did read it, I'm just desperate. I wondered if you'd used an old copy of Indesign with that script to create what you have, could you get a copy of that indesign and script, create a two spread version of what you have and then open it in new Indesign? Sounds like that might work.

What's teh GUI, by the way? Probably sound like a bit of a novice, but just maybe don't get as technical as you do. Or you'll say, and i'll realise what a daft question it was...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Glove4Help , What‘s the end use for spreads with more than 10 pages? Is this for print output and are you using some kind of unusual binding method like an accordian fold?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines