• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Static Numbering for NCR Forms in InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to figure out how to apply numbering to a form (an Invoice) in InDesign and print digitally. (The numbering I'm talking about would be equivalent to crash numbering using traditional printing methods.) I have absolutely no clue how to set up the numbering, nor how to make sure that when I print I get the numbers printed on each copy of the NCR. Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking to have (for example) 100 different pages, each with a different number in one document and you print the one you need when you need it, or a single-page document, that updates the number each time you use it? The first is what you would do if you were printing them in advance, and I can help you with that, but the other is out of my experience, so I'm not sure how you would do it, but there's probably someone who will help you with that on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am printing invoices that have a pre-assigned number on them. Numbers will run 11500-11999. It is on NCR paper (Non-Carbon Repeating) 2-part, white/yellow. (So, each number has to print twice.) I just can't figure out how to get that sequential numbering inserted into the already created document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but never mind. I figured it out using a data merge from an excel spreadsheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Would you mind sharing some info about how you solved this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a MS Excel Spreadsheet. On the top row make column headers alphabetic -a-b-c, etc. Make your columns beginning in row 2 start with the numbers you want to insert first. Click and drag down to what should be the last number for that column.For instance, if your going 1-500, you'll actually drag down to select everything to and including row 501. Go up to the right and select Fill, Series and step by one. That will fill the entire column with you numbers.

Save the file as an excel csv file or Macintosh csv, whichever system you're running.

Open InDesign and select "data merge" and choose the CSV file you created. Create a textbox on the InDesign document and then click on the merged data selection. It will fill that box with an <<a>>, click Preview and it will show the number. If doing a multiple-up print, create additional text boxes as necessary and click on the different column headers from your csv document.

Select "create merged document" and InDesign will create the the sequentially numbered document for you, then all you gotta do is print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really helped me out a lot. 

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you need page 1 and page 2 to have the same numbers etc. for the duplicate yellow copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You create the spread sheet number list withthe numbers repeating as many times as there are sheets to a form set before advancing to the next number, so for 3-part forms you list would look like

3 and so on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines