• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Step and Repeat Text Box

New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to step and repeat multiple text boxes? I need numbers 1-1200 printed on a small card - see sample file attached. I'm not coming up with any easy way to do this. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to do this is to set with the page size the size of your card, put a text frame on the Parent Page, create a paragraph style to start paragraph in next frame, and place a number list you can create in moments using a spreadsheet like Excel.

You can do a similar thing on a larger page by makinig and threading a grid of text frames on the parent page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need a number on each page then add and format a page number on a parent page then insert as many pages as you need numbers. Each page will include the page number and nothing else.

If you plan to have the numbers set multiple up on a page you might find a table works well. Here I set up a table with fixed height and width for each cell, I centred the text vertivally in each cell. I used numbering in the paragraph panel to number each paragraph. There has to be text fro the number to appear. An empty cell won]t have a number so I added a space to each paragraph. Since I want the numbers centred horizontally as well as vertically I included a leading space in the numbering format to counter the space I typed, ensuring the number is centred.

Screenshot 2022-05-31 at 12.54.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a big fan of tables, in general, but I do like the current page marker idea for one-up pages. Saves having to build the number list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your help! I'll give that a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to do this with text frames instead of a table, the Gridify shortcut can quickly create a grid of threaded text frames. If you haven’t used Gridify, the idea is that as you drag out a rectangle, before releasing the mouse, press the arrow keys to control how many rows and columns are in the grid. The demo below also shows adding the Command key (macOS) or Ctrl key (Windows) to adjust spacing between frames. If you do this with the Type tool, when you release the mouse you get a grid of threaded text frames. You could copy one page of frames to other pages and thread them until you have enough frames, then pour in one list auto-numbered using the numbering tips in the other replies, such as paragraph numbers.

InDesign Gridify text frames.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines