• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stop InDesign from renaming layers when I copy paste content from one document to another

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an interactive form that requires some of the layers to maintain certain names. This form sometimes needs to get copy/pasted into other InDesign documents, but when this happens, all the layers change names and I have to go through and rename everything again. How can I prevent this automatic renaming happening when I paste the forms from one InDesign document to another?

The first picture shows the layer names in the document I'm copying from, and the second picture shows the layer names after I've pasted into another existing document. I know WHY the rename themselves...just trying to figure out if there's a way to prevent this from happening?

Screen-Shot-2021-10-25-at-10.32.10-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-10-25-at-10.31.50-AM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

InDesign does not have nested layers, the nested items you show are probably grouped items, form fields, or some other interactive options. 

Try exporting the items as snippets. That worked on my testing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign does not have nested layers, the nested items you show are probably grouped items, form fields, or some other interactive options. 

Try exporting the items as snippets. That worked on my testing. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines