• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange italic text when typing a colon

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2019 Sep 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.  Maybe someone could shed some light in this for me.  I have a document I am working on (that was supplied to me) and whenever I type a colon, it seems to italicize the word before it.  Specifically, when I type "For example" it's fine, but add a colon, it becomes "For example:"  I'm attaching the screen shots to illustrate the issue as well.  It's probably something basic I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 21, 2019 Sep 21, 2019

Check for GREP or Nested styles in the paragraph style used.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check for GREP or Nested styles in the paragraph style used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change it from paragraph style, double click on the style used, check the drop caps and nested style on the left side.

it seems that they prepared this style to be italic with colon. if you want to can change it.

to chage it for all current style and all the next style, do not selet any text befor editing the style. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your first style use it feature to use next style in his settings. Something like this - 

2019-09-22_11-56.png

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick: We can see from your screen shots that the paragraph with the words "For example:", are using a paragraph style called B. (Actually, it shows B+, which means that there is an override on the B style.) 

ScreenShot_2.png

Assigning a different style from the list will likely solve this, or if B is the correct style name, you can redefine its behavior:

• Right click B > Edit B
    Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 10.00.55 AM.png
  • Click on Drop Caps and Nested Styles. Is there a style defined that assigns Italics through 1 colon? If so, delete it. 
    Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 9.57.15 AM.png
  • If not, click on Grep Styles (listed directly under Drop Caps & Nested Styles) and look for a similar option. Delete it.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone for the replies. The issue was in the GREP styles as several of you indicated. Problem solved. Thanks again for the help! - Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting us know, Rick. I marked Frans' as correct, since he was the first to respond with the correct answer.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines