Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange rectangles appear exporting the document

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

I have a problem that I don't know how to solve.
When I export my document for print I find these rectangles (with no logic) that I can't see when I'm working on the Indesign document.
I find this problem only with Heebo font. Is there anybody who knows if I can solve it? Or should I change the font?
Thank you in advance

Cattura.PNG

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Is there a missing character/diacritical/punctuation mark associated with those random rectangles?

Generally, those hollow boxes appear because the text demands an extended character that's not included in a given font's character set. If that's the case, sometimes, it may work to substitute a single errant character with a different font for just that character. If you pick another font that's really close, you can get away cleanly with that minor typographical crime.

But then, if it's a re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you copy-paste or Placed the text in your document?

It happens sometimes, that text, especially when pasted for MS Word, for example, appear with strange characters when processed. 

You can use the script view or a find-replace approach to locate the character and replace it with a standard space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a missing character/diacritical/punctuation mark associated with those random rectangles?

Generally, those hollow boxes appear because the text demands an extended character that's not included in a given font's character set. If that's the case, sometimes, it may work to substitute a single errant character with a different font for just that character. If you pick another font that's really close, you can get away cleanly with that minor typographical crime.

But then, if it's a really close match, close enough to hide inside your problematic font and mask it's weaknesses, it's probably close enough to substitute entirely for your problematic font. Which would also get rid of the issue.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Randy,

I noticed that the problem was with the punctuation; especially with ":".
Very strange for me but I followed your suggest and I changed only this character with a similar font and everything works good now.
Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help.

Can I ask a favor of you? Could you please mark that as the correct answer for your situation? This alerts the moderators to archive this thread, and set up the site AI to offer it in the "Related conversations" at the top-left of the page for people who have similar issues. So we can both help folks who encounter this problem down the line.

And anytime you have issues with InDesign — or heck, any Adobe program — don't hesitate to come back here and sound the alarm. There are lots of sharp people around here who are happy to help.

Glad you're past the problem,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nicolo,

this is now the tenth or eleventh thread with a similar issue.

You already did a workaround by using a different font for some characters.

A solution could be to uninstall the font files from the system and to reinstall them.

Give that a chance as well.

If this does not work, uninstall the font files from the system and move them to the Fonts folder of the InDesign Application.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Laubender,
I did a quick search, probably with the wrong subject.
I try also this trick, hope it could work.
Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines