Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroked line climbs the page while I'm adjusting its length

Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my experience:

• I draw a line with the line tool, stroke it, and position it where I want it.  No prob.
  • If I should need to adjust its length, I choose the appropriate end on the proxy to lock in the direction toward which it will adjust, and then adjust the length numerically in the length field, point by point, so I can get it exactly right.
  • The stroke changes length just fine throughout the process, but it also simultaneously creeps upward and a little to the side, toward the anchored end. Basically, the line doesn't stay where I put it.
  • I thought it might have something to do with the object scaling settings in the General tab of Preferences, but I'm not sure. I've attached a screen shot of my current and most common settings of this preference.

I've noticed this behavior many, many times and usually just drag the line back to where it belongs and keep going with my work. But I thought maybe it was time to ask about this to find out if anyone else has had this experience and if you know why it happens or how to make it stop (or what I might be doing wrong!). -- Thanks much for any feedback. 🙂

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@casinclaire when you are resizing the stroke line, is all of the anchors selected (in blue)? If so, that may be the issue?

mpchow_0-1721367991320.png

Click off the page or deselect the line. Select the 'Direct Selection Tool (white arrow), and click on the end point. One end point should be a solid blue square, and you should be able to resize it, without moving from the anchor point, unless it's slight moved in an angle. 

mpchow_1-1721368229821.png

My InDesign Preferences are the same as yours, and likely the Stroke Panel too? My guides are set to snap to guides and tried it off. Works fine. See the stroke.mp4

mpchow_2-1721368312473.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @casinclaire ,

hm. Maybe you hold the Shift key when you change the length of the graphic line?

Try without the Shift key if that is the case.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @casinclaire ,

hm. Maybe you hold the Shift key when you change the length of the graphic line?

Try without the Shift key if that is the case.

By @Laubender

I'm pretty sure, Shift key isn't involved:

If I should need to adjust its length, I choose the appropriate end on the proxy to lock in the direction toward which it will adjust, and then adjust the length numerically in the length field, point by point, so I can get it exactly right.

RobertatIDTasker_0-1721754562578.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines